Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodsonii in WInter

Posted by padraig_1 Florida 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 9:03

What do I need to do for my costus in the winter? We do have frosts and freezes in Ocala in mid and late winter. The plant is container-grown and seems to be happy in its pot. I need to know about temperature, water, winter fetilizing, light, etc. The blooms are brilliant red and beautiful and I don't want the poor plant to suffer because of "neophyte knowledge deficit". Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodsonii in WInter

Costus Woodsonii "Dwarf French Kiss", aka, "Dwarf Lipstick", aka "Red Button" was not hardy for me in the ground in my Zone 9a although most internet nurseries sell it as hardy in Zone 9. Cut back on your watering to maybe once a week. It needs protection from a freeze like in a storage room room during the coldest nights. But I would move it in and out as the weather moderates. No fertilizer during the winter.

Steve

o

Thanks, Steve. One more question: Can I propagate at this time of year? I do have access to a nursery greenhouse for cuttings. Carol

o

I've never tried to propogate Costus from cuttings but I would think it would be better in the spring. I've always used divisions. Good luck.

Steve

o

This is how I propogate costus (this includes Costus woodsonii, Costus barbatus, Costus stenophyllus, Costus Green Mountain, Costus Emerald Chalice, Costus Maroon Chalice, Costus Red Rose, Costus curvibracteatus, Costus Amazonicus variegated and Green....)
I take the old spent stems, cut them into sections 6-12 inches long, and throw them out into the compost heap and pile other yard clipping on top of them. They will send up plantlets almost year round at a very vigorous rate.

I discovered this quite by accident when I was trimming up spent canes in the greenhouse of these gingers and throwing them out into the woods. I went out and there were all types of ginger seedlings sprouted up everywhere. Its a really positive thing for me, because it provides an almost endless source of gingers that are not all reliably hardy here. I harvest the seedlings about this time of year, before the first hard freeze, pot them up and stash them in the greenhouse, and if I lose my outdoor plantings to a freeze and they don't come back from the roots, I have more to plant.

If you have a compost pile, try this method. Its very effective and takes almost no effort on your part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here