Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with plant ID.

Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 15:35

I recieved this plant in a trade but I recieved it unlabled.. It has grown all summer but it didn't bloom so I was unable to fingure it out.. I am new to Gingers. I hope you can help...
Thanks and Many Blessings
Chena

Here is a link that might be useful: unknown ginger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with plant ID.

Hi Chena:

That is a Curcuma elata. It should bloom nicely next spring. It will become dormant shortly if it has not already started to "wilt". But dont worry it is normal for these gingers.

Cocomo

o

• Posted by chena z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 17, 06 at 19:49

Thank You sooo very much.. I dug it up and brought it in becoz I was unsure.. I just googled it and now I'm wondering if I haven't made a huge mistake by bringing it in...It has only been in a few days.. YIKES!!! What do I do now??? Sorry to be such a doughhead...LOL but HELP... please!!!
I want this guy to bloom..
Chena

o

Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 17:21

Okay!!
I guess it wasn't that bad becoz nobody jumped up to tell me otherwise...LOL
Ya Know!! If I knew the answer I wouldn't ask....YES I can research it but I would rather have true experience as example..I can tell you about alot of things..welding,organic growing,building with wood, reinventing, sewing, cooking and animals... BUT I can't tell you anything about Ginger... Just askin for a little help...
Thanks
Chena

o

Curcuma Elata is rated hardy in Zone 7. They start to go dormant here in Zone 9a in September. The leaves first begin to yellow, then fall over. The blooms on this Curcuma appear before the leaves and show up for me in March. They are tough to bloom in a pot as they need lots of room and might even take a few years to bloom in the ground. They can take almost full sun and seem to bloom better and more reliably with more sun.

Since you've already dug up the rhizomes, I would put them in a paper bag in a dark closet and replant once your last freeze date is past. But I don't think they will bloom for you this spring, but probably the next.

Steve

o

Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 20:26

Thanks Steve!
I have had them in the house and they are stating to put on new growth.. I am putting them under the house(58* yr round) with the Banana's and Brugs to winter over and then get them back out and hope for the best!!
Blessings
Chena

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here