Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

Tips for growing Ginger and Turmeric?

PunkRotten
11 years ago

Hi,

I'd really like to grow both of these plants in my garden. But I have no idea how to best grow them. I have one area that is 2x2, it gets a few hours morning sun in the Spring then rest of the day in shade. I have another 2x2 area that gets a few hours afternoon sun only and rest of the time in shade. How many rhizomes should I put in a 2x2? Is the available sun sufficient for both plants? I'd also like to know watering and fertilizing schedule (if any). I am in zone 9b and it never drops below 40F when is the best time for me to plant both plants? Will they be able to overwinter here? When is the best time to harvest and is there a special way to handle them during harvest? Thanks

Comments (5)

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No one knows??

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It's more that hardly anyone comes here. I just dropped in for the first time in quite a while out of curiosity.

Generally these plants like a very rich organic soil and to be kept moist. Many people grow them in pots so area isn't that much of an issue. I'm not familiar with your climate but provided they're covered with a thick layer of mulch and they don't get wet, there should be enough insulation to protect them. In your first year you could take some in and leave some out to see how they go. I've grown a lot of different gingers but not tumeric as such, although I have grown other Curcuma species. Organic fertilisers and manures are good for them. They like a lot of light but direct midday sun can be a bit too potent for them, unless they have plenty of water. At the end of the season the foliage begins to die down and that's when you can harvest them.

• trianglejohn
    11 years ago

I grow both of them and a few other edible gingers in zone 7b (Raleigh NC). 2 by 2 is not much space. Neither of these plants gets very big above ground but you want lots of space under ground for the roots to spread out. I plant one root cluster every 2 feet in my garden. Turmeric can handle any amount of sun (as long as its watered) but root ginger does better in the shade for me. It takes about 265 days to get optimum flavor in the roots, so I plant the roots in March (indoors for my zone) and get them to sprout and then raise them as houseplants until the daytime highs are mostly in the 80's, then plant them in the garden. I harvest whenever the night time lows are predicted to get around freezing but anytime after Halloween will work. I can get most store bought roots to sprout but Turmeric can be tricky. I have had Turmeric roots take more than year before sprouting but most of the time they sprout in about a month. You can just lay them on top of the soil and watch for green tips to form, or plant them underground. If your yard never freezes you may be able to harvest root ginger throughout the year by just breaking off bits of root and leaving the plant in the ground. Root ginger grows right at the surface (Turmeric is underground).

• orbtacular
    11 years ago

Lots of info on eastbranchginger.com

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

Hey punkrotten,

I am growing ginger and turmeric from storebought rhizomes in containers up here in Tujunga/Sunland. We do get frosts up here. I mostly left them outdoors in the pots, so waiting to see if they come back as it gets warmer. If they come back up here, you are surely good to overwinter outdoors down in the valley. Actually, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't.

Sponsored