Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I give up on non blooming ginger

Posted by gardenlady76 TX coast/9 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 18:14

I was given two varigated ginger (that's all I know about them) two years ago. They were in pretty bad shape, but some one here on the board told me to cut them back and they would be ok. Which I did. They proceeded to flourish and have lovely varigated leaves, and that's all. NO blooms. They are in large pots, get partial shade from the hot Texas afternoon sun, are well fed and watered. I over winter them in the greenhouse, in other words they are "pampered". So, why don't they bloom????? Help please. They have to bloom pretty soon, or I will have to replace them with plants that will bloom......no slackers allowed here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I give up on non blooming ginger

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 9:03

There are dozens of gingers that are variegated. It would help if you had a picture. I'll take a shot at which variety you have since the most common variegated ginger is Alpinia Zerumbet variegata. This ginger only blooms on second year growth so if you cut the plant back, you'll never see blooms. In your zone, you should be able to get this ginger to bloom as long as it doesn't get frosted.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here