Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I overwinter Alpinia zerumbet in zone 7b?

Posted by kasha77 7 (kathysuleski@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 20:20

HI All-I purchased 7 variegated shell gingers late summer and have them in ground. They really took off, but now have some frost damage. I am in NC, zone 7b and was wondering if they will overwinter here if I mulch them with leaves. Any help will be appreciated. If they aren't hardy I need to dig them up pronto! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I overwinter Alpinia zerumbet in zone 7b?

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 9:06

They are reported to be hardy to zone 8 but their hardiness refers to the corm, not the stalks. Since this ginger blooms on second year growth, if they freeze, no blooms the following summer.

Steve

o

Yes, the stalks are already dead. I mulched the whole plant with plenty of leaves. I know that we won't get blooms here, I'm majorly concerned about the rhizome making it. It was sold here in a nursery and it does say zone 8 on the tag. I hope it makes here in zone 7b. Anyone in zone 7b have any luck with it coming back in the spring?

o

I'm in Raleigh (zone 7b) and I have had it happen in the past and I've seen it happen in other peoples gardens but the plants suffer so much in a cold winter that it isn't worth it. Even with a mild winter (not like this year) they don't emerge until Summer, sometimes around early July. It takes them so long to get up to speed and then fall happens and its time to go to sleep again. It will wear them out in a few years.

A lot of people just mark where they are and dig them up when they have time - even after a hard freeze has killed the leaves.

o

triangle John- thank you for your input. It's supposed to warm up this week, maybe I'll dig a few up. I'll leave most in ground though, to see what happens. Merry Christmas everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here