Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houston Heleconia

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 22:24

These guys are tricky to bloom in a pot. I hear the dwarf variety is easier. Does anyone have experience with dwarf H r?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houston Heleconia

There is virtually no difference in the size of the stalks of Rostrata and Dwarf Rostrata nor in the amount of winter protection they need; the only difference is the number of bracts on the inflo. With that in mind, I quit growing the dwarf variety and concentrated on the standard Rostrata and have been rewarded year after year with beautiful inflos with up to 21 bracts. Mine are all in pots and are easily protected in a garage.

Steve

o

Picture of mine this year.

Steve

Heliconia Rostrata

o

Lookin very fine Steve. When you put them in the garage do you put lights on them? or let them die down to the rhizome? What's your fertilizer regime? And, full or part sun?

o

Houstonpat,

I don't put lights on them. I move them in and out based on the weather conditions. If it is going to be above 40 degrees, they stay out. Don't let them die down as this heliconia, along with most, only bloom on second year growth. If you cut them down, you won't get blooms the following summer. I fertilize from March to October every week with a water soluble "Super bloom" fertilizer, like 10-50-10. Both Peters and Miracle Grow make this fert. They are in full sun during these months. In the winter, I stop fertlizing and water sparingly, no more than once a week. During the summer I water 3 times a week with one of those waterings being the fertilizer application.

o

Some good tips Steve. Thanks. We get a lot of nights below 40. I'll take a shot at moving them in and out. Maybe get a roller cart.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here