Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karikat_gw

my ginger might bloom soon!

karikat
17 years ago

I am so excited, this late in the year, I finally have about 15 stalks with buds on them in NorCal. I've spent the last week building a makeshift greenhouse around them to hopefully protect them until they open. It has been getting to the low 40's and high 30's, and we are supposed to get slammed with rain tomorrow. Last year, with 3 stalks looking hopeful, it froze and I lost them. So I'm looking for any advice as to what I can do to be able to enjoy these wonderful flowers.

I am not sure if they are butterfly, they've only bloomed once, 2 years ago after being in the ground for 10 years, and I don't remember the flower looking the same as the pictures I've seen. For some reason, I keep thinking they look more like the yellow ginger, although the flowers are white and the leaves look the same as the butterfly ginger. I will take pictures this year, if they make it.

I'm clueless on ginger. I would love to know what I should do with them right now. They are in the ground, soil is pathetic (clay mostly), not much drainage so definitely wet. They are against the house facing east, maybe 4 hours of morning sun, when we're not buried in fog, and I have been throwing fertilizer on every few weeks since I saw the first bud starting. Otherwise, they get nothing the rest of the year. Oh yeah, I put some in a pot earlier in the year, and now there is one bud on that bunch too!!

thank you thank you!

kari

Comments (2)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area