Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone grown Tacca laevis

Posted by caerulea 9bNSW Australia (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 23, 04 at 4:08

Hi

I've just received some seedlings of Tacca laevis the Green Bat Plant. They seem to grow very simular to the Tacca integrifolia The White Bat Plant. I grow heaps of the White and it does very well. Has anyone grown the green before and can they give me any tips or suggestions.

As this is a fairly new plant to Australia, I thought I'd try this site.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone grown Tacca laevis

I looked it up and it seems very hard to find. I didn't find any for sale in USA.
I did find this site with information so maybe you can email this person for information.
I don't have one of any color but thinking about getting one.
Let me know how yours does.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bat plants information site

o

Thanks cactusfreak for your reply.

It's an interesting site.We call the Tacca nivea, Tacca integrifolia over here.

Ive potted about 30 seedlings into 100mm pots (4 inch) with a well drained organic rich mix. Im watering regularly, but also keeping up the humidity with misting, as this is our summer. We are having a warm to cool summer with days between 25C-35C (sorry dont know what that is in Fahrenheit). We have had one heat wave, which peaked at 46.5C in the shade with another about to hit over the next few days, so Im watching the water level. So far, so good.

No idea how long before they flower. The black (T. chantrieri) is quick, but the White (T. integrifolia or T. nivea) takes years. If someone can tell me how to post a photo on this site Id show you what it looks like. Its beautiful like a jade green Black Bat plant with mulberry tones.

Rob H

o

Wow it's hot I think 114 F
Your pictures have to be posted on a website. You can go to Photobucket.com and download for free. It explains how to do it. Use the browse window to get your picture from your file then submit it. In the space below the picture are 3 address bars copy and paste the middle one to your message. It will show the address in your message til you click preview message then it will show the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Celcius to Farenheit convertor

o

• Posted by hoko NSW Aust (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 0:30

I just recently bought a tacca laevis from Orchid Oasis in Taree NSW. I'd never heard of it either and don't know how to grow it but I will ask him for you. He told me it was more cold tolerant and hardy than tacca chanteiri.Where did you get your tacca chanteiri?
Best of luck,
Jack

o

Hi caerulea, Good luck to you on your laevis. The foliage alone sounds beautiful.

As you may recall, you advised me on how to germinate my integrifolia seeds, thank you. Happy to report that I now have sturdy, healthy looking seedlings so far, but worry about them when they get bigger. Any growing tips? Two years to flower?

Hope your laevis grows well for you, Karen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here