Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonheart_gw

Butterfly Ginger question

dragonheart
19 years ago

Hi, i got some seeds, i am wondering if i can start the seeds now and grow this indoors,will it make a good house plant till summer gets here?

thanks for your help ;-)

Comments (4)

• rayandgwenn
    19 years ago

Dragonheart-

Hedychium coronarium can take 1-3 months to sprout. And they're not the fastest growers. So starting them inside now should be fine.

Keep the potting medium moist (not wet) and warm. Keep the container covered until they sprout. This will provide more humidity. Sun doesn't matter until they sprout, though putting the container in the sun for the _heat_ makes sense. The seeds don't need light (they're covered with soil, right?) to sprout.

Zone 3, huh?

We have bloomed butterfly ginger in 5-gallon pots with no problem, so this will make a nice container plant for your patio or deck.

Hope this helps.

-Ray

• cathys1951
    19 years ago

Ray, can you tell me what butterfly gingers are. I have become addicted to gingers in the last 2 years. but they are hard to find. This one soungs really interesting since it is called butterfly, which is also my favorite.
    Cathy

• rayandgwenn
    19 years ago

Cathy-
    Do a Google search on Hedychium coronarium.

Butterfly gingers are extremely fragrant. Typically, we see them in white. They are also available in yellow and peach.

In the right environment, they can become invasive in the ground. But in containers, they do pretty well.

-Ray

• cathys1951
    19 years ago

I looked it up and I have it. Only we call mine
    Hawaiian Ginger Lily. Grows great here.
    Thanks Cathy

Sponsored