Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hedychium: What am I doing wrong?!?!

Posted by flash14756 z6 ID (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 14, 05 at 13:03

OK, another propogation question. I bought a White Ginger(Hedychium coronarium) in hawaii, also at the PCC, and it has been in sol for months and all it has done is poke out teeny leaves(not even out of the soil), no roots, nothin. What do I do!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hedychium: What am I doing wrong?!?!

• Posted by Bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 14, 05 at 14:52

Sounds like its dormant to me.
Hedychiums like heat, sun and water. Maybe you should store the tuber in peat til spring and then plant it in those conditions.

o

It's indoors, does that make a differance?

o

Having never been inthe position to have to grow a hedychium indoors, I can't tell you from personal experience. But I would think that if the tuber is 100% dormant, like they are when they pack them into those little baggies in Hawaii for export, it might need the actual gradual change in temperature from cool to warm to hot to spur it into sprouting

o

Can I put it in my garage, the in fridge, then on heat?

o

OK, update. It is slowly waking from its slumber. How fast can I expect it to grow and how do I take care of it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here