Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dog ate the ginger

Posted by KaraLynn z9 FL (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 22, 04 at 15:13

My sister's little white terrier ate the butterfly ginger that I planted in my mom's garden this spring. The little monster literally stripped the plant of every leaf she could get her teeth on. Nothing would deter her, not even getting threatened with a shovel! Because of this we didn't get a single flower from the plant. Does anyone know if the leaves of butterfly ginger is tasty to animals or is this dog just obsessed with the plant? To add insult to injury, in order to get to the butterfly ginger, the dog trampled the peacock ginger into the ground!

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the dog to leave the ginger alone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dog ate the ginger

• Posted by Mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 27, 04 at 13:10

Dog or ginger? Dog or ginger? Dog or ginger?

I'd check out 1-800-DogPound.......

o

Well, at least we know it's not toxic!

o

It probably improved his breath ;-)
Lynn

o

Hedychium is not toxic to dogs, but the red pinecone blooms of Zingiber zerumbet (shampoo ginger, Awapuhi) are toxic to dogs. Other pinecone type inflos on other zingibers may be toxic as well.

o

Mikey, believe me there are times that I wish I could get rid of her. Lucky for her that she's so cute and this is the only flower bed she goes after (not to mention my sister would kill me if I got rid of her dog!). Now that it's run out of ginger the dog's starting in on the mondo grass that borders the flower bed the ginger is in. I'm seriously considering getting some of that invisible electric fence and putting it around the bed.

Bihai, thanks for the info. I didn't know that the shampoo ginger's flower cones are toxic, fortunatly the dog didn't attack the shampoo ginger anywhere near as much as the butterfly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here