Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oorah

cut the stalk or no

oorah
19 years ago

i have white ginger stalks....not familar with terminology....but the stalk produces nice flowers with a great fragrance....when the flower dies do i cut the stalk or leave it....

tnanks..

Comments (5)

• rayandgwenn
    19 years ago

We always cut them down- it looks better because they get ugly as they sie down anyway. The rhizome will send up new shoots.- Gwenn

• bahia
    19 years ago

In zone 10 conditions, you needn't cut off the old flowering stalks immediately, although if there are plenty of other new stalks yet to bloom, it doesn't hurt to do so. It really depends on whether you get regular freezes in your area, in which case cutting them back to the ground eliminates the need to do so after they are frost damaged. If you prefer to have that full look all through the winter, wait until March to cut them back, by which time there will probably be fresh new growth from the rhizomes.

I generally cut them off immediately if the plantings are very full, or wait until the winter rains and winds batter them, and remove at this time if they are looking too tattered. If they are still continuing to bloom and the foliage looks fresh, I leave them alone completely. With Hedychium coronarium, flavescens and gardnerianum, it really is up to you, and how they look through the winter in your microclimate.

• oorah
    Original Author
    19 years ago

the majority of my ginger plants didnt flower....should i cut the stalks anyway....do you have your ginger plants in full sun or partial....i noticed that the ones in partial sun do a lot better but the leaves still need improvement...do you know of a site on care of ginger plants....a ginger 101........

thanks

• CoolPlants
    19 years ago

I feel that any green parts of the foliage left on can help to manufacture food for the rhizome. I've seen new Hedychium shoots come up only to be zapped by cold wind. If they're brown, I cut them. I'm in zone 9B. The wind damaged ones were near the bay.
    kevin

• bryanb
    19 years ago

You can do it either way. In nature, the dying stem and leaves provide nutrients for new shoots, but under cultivation fertilizer and mulch do the same thing. We usually cut our old stems out (heliconias and gingers) if we have the time, because it makes the clump look better. We always use the cut stems as mulch, so that recycles the nutrients back into the plant eventually anyway.

Bryan

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia