Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanantoniorose_z8b

To leave in the ground or not

sanantoniorose_z8b
19 years ago

I'm reading confusing info regarding overwintering butterfly gingers. The spot that my gingers are in is always moist and slow draining. It's also on the north west side of the house. So should I dig them up or leave them alone? They're also not completely under the soil. Looks like soil was washed away and some of the rhizomes/bulbs are exposed. If they should stay where they're at, I'll put down some mulch to keep them from freezing. Or will that contribute to rotting? Help!

I've also noticed some seeds, should I leave them on the stalk or cut and bring them indoors?

My membership will expire soon until I can renew, so I won't be answering any questions after the 3rd. I would appreciate any info on what to do with these plants for the winter.

Comments (2)

• cactusfreak
    19 years ago

Do you mean your GW membership? You can still post without a membership.
    I would be concerned about the gingers rotting if the ground is always moist.
    The gingers just naturally work themselves up out of the soil like an Iris.
    You could try heavy mulch to keep them dry.
    Leave a few and dig up a few just in case.
    Next year amend the soil so it drains faster and you can leave them in the ground.

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

We are ginger nuts here in New Orleans and its ... well we are below sealevel, our soil tends towards thick black clay and we get lots of rain. With that said we don't get the cold like you do and that along with the wet may cause rot.
    I also have them growing at my place in Ms. z8 which has a sandy soil and they winter there with zero mulching. 'Course I don't have the wet soil you do there. The butterflies are very hardy from all I've ever heard and have always been reliable for me.
    Mike

Sponsored