Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipping ginger rhizomes up north

Posted by johnsaunt 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 19:07

I've got two trades of Hedychium coronarium that I need to ship to cold locations--New York and Michigan. How should I tell the recipients to care for the ginger over the winter?

Thanks, Ginny
PS I have more, if anyone wants some!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipping ginger rhizomes up north

hi john
i live in quebec canada...i little cold..lol
last year i received several rizones of ginger..
(i got them in january)
i kept some the same way you'd keep dahlia bulbs
wrapped and in the dark and i planted some under lights in a warm area..
they both grew in the spring...
hope this helps...
cheers
diggy

o

Great! That is just the info I was going to ask but thought I'd look through previous posts first. Someone sent me a couple of 'pine cone ginger' tubers (?) and I've had them down with the dahlias in a cool area of the basement only because I didn't know what else to do and was leery of starting them growning now with a long MN winter coming on.
thanks for the info diggy.
Will

o

HI, I live in Ontario and am looking for rhizomes/plants of red ginger (Alpina purpurata). Most of my tropicals have originated as bare root bulbs which I planted in the spring and kept out over the summer. In the fall, I either bring the plant indoors to a cool and dark location and allow it to go dormant, or cut it back, dry the roots and save them. I guess shipping up north will be the same. Ship in peat moss and paper in late winter/early spring so that the rhizomes will be as fresh as possible. I am currently growing ordinary cooking ginger from a tuber bought in the grocery store. It is doing very well and even if I can't harvest it, it makes a beautiful plant. Also, elephants ears (taro/dasheen) are easy to get hold of. Just buy them in your grocery store and plant them up. I have a huge one that is about 4 years old. Cheers, flowergirl2010

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here