Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is ginger taste better in India than here?

Posted by prachi 6b (NJ) (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 20:24

I did also post this in the asian forum....

My cousin pointed out to me that the ginger used in India is much stronger than the ginger available in the grocery stores here. So here is my question:

- Is that because it is not as fresh, i.e. does it make sense to grow my own grocery store ginger at home?

-Is that because they grow a different variety of ginger in India? If that is the case can I buy "seed ginger" here in the states and grow it at home?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is ginger taste better in India than here?

Do you know the Latin/Botanical name of the ginger that you are referring to from India? I grow an edible ginger in my garden but it is the common kind from the grocery store (Zingiber officinale). It has a strong flavor but more lemony than spicy. There are different kinds of edible ginger and also many spices that are similar looking to ginger or in the 'ginger family' that have different flavors.

If you have the space in your garden and like your ginger very fresh or want some different varieties then you could grow your own ginger and spices like turmeric etc. The common type is around 3.29 or so a lb at our local grocery store right now and of course they only have that one kind.

Do you have any 'ethnic' grocery stores in your area like Asian etc.? We have a few and sometimes you can find more of the exotic spices and tropical fruits and stuff there. There is also a farmer's market here that I can get some interesting things from. I found lychees, jackfruit, and rambutan, sugar cane, and lots of guavas at ours.
One time they were selling fruit trees so I got a Longan and a Starfruit tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here