Return to the Ginger Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with Zingiber officinale?

Posted by bamaud z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 9, 08 at 22:22

Hi,

I started a Z. officinale in a pot around August or so, and it started to grow in maybe September, but after that, its growth was deformed.

The leaves didn't unfurl completely, were small, and had yellow blotches. I put it into my bathroom, and then the shoot just stopped growing, but stayed green. I recently dug it up, and there didn't appear to be any roots coming out of the ginger. So, now it's just sitting on top of its pot.

Does it just want to rest? Did I start it too late? Should I then put it back into the soil in Spring?

Also, I recently received a Z. zerumbet rhizome about the size of my thumb, with a bud the size of a large pea on it (the bud is yellow-ish but smooth looking). Should I keep it out of soil till winter, in like a drawer? Or should I pot it up?

Thanks a ton,
-Ben

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with Zingiber officinale?

Sounds like it started too late.
usually the rule of thumb is, keep it dry until it starts to sprout. I would keep it dry but if it starts to sprout, plant it, same withh the other one.
I just keep mine potted down here or in the ground

o
RE: What to do with Zingiber officinale?

Ok thanks. The ginger seems to have turned to much in some parts, so I'll just get a new one in spring and test it out.

As for the Z. zurumbet, though, it has started forming a skin over the bud, and I'm not sure, but is that supposed to happen? Like the bud used to be green and smooth, but now it's starting to become covered with a skin.

Thanks,
-Ben

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ginger Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here