Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marybell86

Changing to organic

Marybell86
9 years ago

I have a small garden I started in my balcony, I have plants I would like to use in my cooking (Oregano, basil, mint, chives) I am new to gardening and the forum. I always wanted to do organic. However, I had an ants problem and used pesticides. I have also been using miracle grow (potting mix) and plant food which label says it is all natural but who knows. As you can se, I'm lost. I want to know the best ways to switch to organic. Should I change the plants to new pots? Or should I wait some time for pesticides residues to "go away" I guess so I can start using the herbs? ...HELP!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    GoGreen Builders
    9 years ago

Hi and welcome!

Some pesticides are very powerful and almost always leave residues, be it on the plat or in the soil. However, that doesn't mean you can't use the plants or the soil anymore. Pesticides was over time after you stop using them. Of course, it'll take more time for them to go away if you've been using them for long.

During that time, you can still use the herbs, but be sure to wash them thoroughly (you can use a mix of vinegar and water or one with lemon, water and baking soda).

As for changing the plants to new pots, you should certainly consider that option. A healthy environment and a rich natural soil will make a huge difference in your plants. In fact, having that healthy environment will also help against plagues, since it'll make difficult for them to reproduce.

Finally, you should plant some yarrow, which attracts predator insects (ladybugs, lavewings) that will eat harmful insects and their larvae. You mentioned you had a problem with ants. Next time, use vinegar and coffee grounds in the soil, instead. They will surely drive away the ants and protect your garden.

Hope this helps!

• purslanegarden
    9 years ago

Learn as you go. You can't do everything the organic way the first time out, but as you learn about more things like organic fertilizer or pesticides, then incorporate those into your balcony garden. There will come a time when, from start to finish, you did everything as organically safe as you could.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

Of course you can go organic!

Just stop using that chemical stuff & use organic methods instead;

in this day & age of gardenweb & google, you can find organic remedies & methods for everything.

If the budget runs to it, I my own self would dump the old soil, wash the pots in vinegar & dish soap in hot water, & use new, uncontaminated soil.

Best luck, & have fun!

• tjayars1
    8 years ago

In addition Diatemacous Earth works very well on ants. You can get food grade very cheap so safe for pets and humans.

• PRO
    J Gil Organic
    8 years ago

You can buy small bags of Neptune's Harvest potting soil, or at any nursery you can buy local finished compost. I would stay away from chemicals, and definitely away from Miracle Grow

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012
More Discussions