Return to the Going Green Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
acrylic tub liners and surrounds

Posted by jubileej MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 22:41

I am on the verge of deciding between tile and acrylic wall surround (and tub liner to put over cast iron tub). It will have commercial strength silicone backing. Will any of this off-gas like vinyls and pvcs? The bonding is supposed to make it very waterproof.

I hope enough people can find this forum at this point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: acrylic tub liners and surrounds

I think an acrylic surround will off-gas. How much and for how long I can't say.

We had an acrylic surround at our last house. I would never ever have another. They are not very easy to clean, and seem to always look water spotted. Tile, on the other hand will good for the life of the tile. Stick with the tile and leave the plastic and silicon for some industrial use. Who needs an industrial strength shower anyway, no matter how long we've been out working in the garden? :~)

o

Depending on how much you need to make the surround like most surrounds (with built-in soap holders and the like), you could consider a product like 3form's resin products. You would put up flat panels and then add things like soap holders and towel bars, but it would be attractive, would give you looks you could not possibly get with ceramic or glass tile, and would be easier to maintain than grout. Don't forget -- with tile you'll be buying a product that sometimes is produced under questionable working conditions and is very heavy despite being transported hundreds (or thousands) of miles. I'm considering 3form for my kitchen backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3form products

o

the "silicone backing" would offgas too much for me

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Going Green Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here