Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjca

granite resins and sealers

sjerin
17 years ago

Ok, this question is rather selfish and perhaps a bit neurotic, since I haven't been able to find anyone else concerned with this subject and no useful info. I'd like to know whether, over time, the granite sealers and/or resins come off on a sponge or washcloth that is used to clean granite couters. I absolutely cannot find an answer to this question, though perhaps I am unable to understand the technicalities of the safety info, what little I can find. I have searched "stoneadvice.com" but since they sell the stuff, there is nothing. Any thoughts as to chemical content and safety?

Comments (9)

• squeeze
    17 years ago

no idea really, but I'm sure that any "finish" on any surface wears away with exposure to changing ambient conditions and abrasion, so I'd be more concerned with what's actually in the stuff .... no chemical is truely "safe", so you need to find and read the MDS safety data for whatever product you use, paying particular attention to ingredients [some are lead and tin based!]

here's some MDS info for a particular companys products - in PDF format

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: grnite sealer safety search

• sjerin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info, squeeze. Yes, that is my concern, finding out what's in the stuff because I use the same cloth for wiping down the counters as I do for hand-wash dishes. And I would use the counters for rolling out dough, so I was basically wondering how well the chemicals "stay put" when they have been applied to the countertops. I still wonder why no one else seems to be concerned, unless of course the sealers and resins really are fairly safe. I will look through the link you sent-- thanks again.

• learningfromothers
    15 years ago

I am looking for someone to explain the different sealers. I am trying to decide between granite and quartz and have heard that granite is very high maintenance.

Thanks!

• l1nda
    15 years ago

I have had granite for 6 years, it's absolutely wonderful. I never sealed it and it looks and feels like the day I had it installed. Hot pans, rolling dough, everything has been done to this countertop. We also put a thinner granite on the hearth and around our fireplace opening. Love that too. I personally wouldn't have anything else and am glad I followed my girlfriend's advice - don't bother sealing it. Can anything get more natural?

• scott_1701
    15 years ago

Not every granite is the same. Since it is a natural material you may get some countertops that are less porous than others. Yours may be highly resistant to staining because it has smaller or less pores but most people are not that fortunate. Everyone that owns a granite countertop will benefit from sealing it even if it a benefit that you can't see with your own eyes. Bacteria growth comes to mind.

• mbruno
    15 years ago

First of all, there are something like 250 different kinds of stone and all have different porosity and sealing requirements. Assuming you have one that does not need sealing, you could have other problems like etching from lemon or fissures/cracks. Some people have no problems at all. But never take someone's word for it that if you buy granite you will never have problems. I install them for a living and people call me ALL the time with problems. Stone is natural, yes. But that is what also gives it flaws. Quartz on the other hand, is completely non-porous. Cambria, Silestone, etc. are all basically the same. They are quartz mixed with about 7% polyester resin material. None of them ever need sealing. Now to answer the question about the sponge. Sealer is supposed to soak into the pores of the stone. But why then, do we have to apply more sealer? Where does it go? Obviously it wears off from use and that includes cleaning it. Only way to find out for sure would be to marry a chemist and have him conduct experiments..hahaha. Instead, just assume it probably has some residue and wash and rinse it well and put it in the dishwasher to sanitize it. Sealers do contain chemicals (smells like it does, that's for sure) and as mentioned, the MSDS gives the ingredients. The easy solution is to use two sponges. Keep one just for washing dishes and one for wiping down counters or tables. Different colors should work. Or better yet, I recommend Silestone because it never has to be sealed so no chemical problems ever!

• rbain_sd
    15 years ago

Soapstone is an option that never needs sealing and gives a very natural and beautiful look.

I grew up in a house with soapstone, and am now remodeling and looking for some in San Diego. My parents would just wash the counter with a cloth, and it never needed more attention than that. Wine, Lemon juice, cleaning chemicals, all of that will not harm soapstone because it is inert. It has no pours, and will not harbor any bacteria.

In CA everyone does Granite, but it is becoming a bit of a common thing, no longer interesting or unique to have Granite, so I am going to put soapstone in. Also, I can never get over the warm feeling soapstone seems to have.

The only downside to it is that it will scratch, but my high school had it in the chem labs, and every year they would sand it the last week of school and it would remove all the etchings that all of us would put in, and starting the next year it would look new again. Amazing stuff.

good luck!

• sjerin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How funny to see this pop up again; I visit this website rarely and here it is! Well, sad to say, we had to put our remodel on hold indefinitely, though I still hold out hope for "someday." And yes, a bit after I posted this I found out about soapstone and am sure it will be the stone for me, if I find myself lucky enough to be able to use it. Thank you all for your thoughts.

• kirkhubb
    12 years ago

rycled glass is safer and mother earth will thank you as well ;)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor