Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

What's your cost per KWH?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

Just kind of curious what electricity costs in various parts of the country? If anyone cares to share and to make matters simple take your electric bill $ total and divide it by the number of KWH you used. If your bill is anything like mine, there are lots of addition charges like: Basic servic chg., Environmt Imprvmt Rider, Resource Adjustment, City Fees, Taxes, etc. Just include all of these.

My March bill works out to $.115 per KWH.

Comments (38)

• calliope
    16 years ago

I live in S.E. Ohio. My last household bill shows a cost of .067 cents per KWH. My business rate for utilities is different than my home rate (more expensive actually) and an all-electric home here also receives another rate (cheaper).

• mommyandme
    16 years ago

I live in S.E. Connecticut. My March bill works out to be .195 cents per KWH.

• gardenlen
    16 years ago

over here in aus',

our average daily tarrif cost is $1.55AUD or 155 cents.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Well, I don't know if I'm doing this right, but mine seems to come out to .201 per kwh. I can't find a number for total kwh usage, so I used the daily number and multiplied by 30, then divided my total bill by this number. We did just have a huge rate hike...

:(
    Dee

• aok27502
    16 years ago

We are on a special program where power costs less on "off peak" hours, and because we participate in the program we get a lower rate, too. Last month our overall rate w/taxes and all was $.0712/KWH

• circa1825
    16 years ago

The actual cost for our electricity is $0.11672/KWH. When all of the miscellaneous charges are factored in, it is $0.171/KWH.

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

Mine was $0.1044/KWH last month including everything.Florida Power & Light.
    They have offered us in the latest mailing the option to pay $7.95 additional per month to support clean power. We don't get anything extra for it except good feelings. Is this a good idea?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've heard of this, but really don't know anything about it. I guess I would be suspicious of anything like this being offered through the utility company, but that's just me. Maybe I've just seen too many of their ads about clean burning coal.

K

• gardenlen
    16 years ago

naplesgardener,

all power companies are pulling that one on, i reckon at best for the consumer who wants to part with their hard earned money that easily they get that "warm fuzzy feeling" and that's about all you will get, make a lot of shareholders happy but!! if everyone did it.

with those schemes there is no full tranceperency so anyone who contributes has absolutely no idea where their money is going. some peole believe that if they pay these extra levies (and the price is different all over the place) that they are getting and using green power!! which is not the case at all power coems from the same source down the same lines.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

US$ 0.08/kwh, rural electric coop in SW Colorado. Its going up pretty regularly, it was $0.06 ten years ago, and headed up again next month.

• hamiltongardener
    16 years ago

Our base rate is 0.055/kWh but after you add on Delivery charges, Regulatory charges, and taxes it works out to 0.11922/kWh.

The fees more than double it, the buggers.

This is in southern Ontario.

• presmudjo
    16 years ago

Thanks for having me get the electric bills out. Interesting. Here at my house OUC is .094580 per kwh for first 1000, then .115380 for overage per kwh. Now my daughters house is Progress Energy and her numbers are broke down with energy charge for first 1000 kwh at .05157, over that .06157. Now you have to add the fuel charge of .04798 per first 1000 kwh, and .05798 for remainder. So add that up and first 1000 kwh is .09955 and remainder over 1000 kwh is .11955. Wow, interesting how they bill you. All I know is it gets expensive. Oh, I guess you would call this central florida area.

• ohiomom
    16 years ago

We have:

Customer Charge
    Delivery Charge
    Transition Charge
    Generation Related Component
    Transmission Related Component

5.6 cents per KWH

:)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

5.6 cents? My God that's cheap! Why the huge difference between you and me?

I like the idea of billing one rate for the first 1000 kwh and then going up from there.

Kevin

• ohiomom
    16 years ago

Kevin

I have no idea :) ... I live in the city, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. What I want to know is what all those charges and components are ... LOL !

I asked my phone company what a line charge was, she said for the dial tone ... sheesh, not like I can take that off the bill to save money.

All these little separate charges drive me nuts !

• seraphima
    16 years ago

price per KW .138, plus an additional (copay for higher diesel costs) of .039

= 17.7 cents per KWH

Rural Alaska is expensive!

• islandpete
    16 years ago

I live in St Pete FL and get power from progress Energy. if you add everything up and put in the base charge It's about .10 per KW That is cheap compaired to solar power which can run about 1.50 per KWH

• terrene
    16 years ago

I own 2 houses in the metro west Boston area, one is a rental property and I pay electric. Both houses are located in towns with Municipal electric companies which have lower rates than the for-profit electric companies operating in the state.

The rates with all charges factored in:

My house - .126 /kWh
    Rental house - .098 /kWh

These rates are both much lower than the average rate for the state of Massachusetts - .149 /kWh. This is an expensive state to live in - 4th most expensive! Check out the link below to find out your state's average.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electricity rate comparision by State

• etcetera
    16 years ago

I don't have a bill handy, but ours starts out around $.08 and goes up the more you use. I seem to recall $.22 as being the highest I paid during a particularly hot month. I didn't factor in delivery, generation, etc. Used to be much cheaper before the whole California electrical debacle a few years ago. Orange County, CA.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    16 years ago

Gee, I don't know what's worse - the fact that I live in the 2nd most expensive state, or that I think my cost is actually higher than what is listed as being 2nd most expensive! I've got to see if I can figure out my exact cost somehow... not that it would make any difference. Still gotta pay it. Sigh.

:)
    Dee

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How on earth did the folks in CA get their electric companies to do a sliding scale? That's what I've wanted around here for ages. $.22 sure is expensive though.

• annebert
    16 years ago

I have to disagree with Len on the question about paying more for clean power. What you are paying goes to the utility company to use more green, but currently more expensive alternative generation methods (probably wind and solar, maybe biogas or hydroelectric).

The idea is that if more people start supporting these alternative technologies, there will be economies of scale and prices will come down for these alternate sources, causing them to be more widely adopted.

For someone who's paying the huge rate hike from BG &E, or living in a cold or hot climate where energy costs can make up a big chunk of your budget, conserving to save money is obviously important. But you can also be interested in reducing your use of polluting energy generation on principle. My energy cost is 4.6 cents, 7.2 with all the other charges factored in- dirt cheap. I would be willing to pay (and can afford to pay) for alternative energy to make it more available. Unfortunately, my utility company doesn't offer the option...

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

Mine is 6.8 cents per KWH.

• lzyjo
    15 years ago

Wow!! This was a shocking thread. I only pay an average of .08/KwH her in Tennessee, and I was thinking about cutting back!!

• socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
    15 years ago

San Diego here. 0.1239/kWh for the first 313 kWh per month (called baseline), then 0.14407/kWh for 100-130% of baseline - don't know what it is after that cuz we're trying hard to conserve.

This includes electric energy, a bond charge, transmission, distribution, public purpose programs, nuclear decommissioning, and a competition transition charge.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    15 years ago

$.1389 in Anchorage Alaska

• vwtx
    15 years ago

In two months our rate has gone from .11259/kwh to .14259/kwh and we are in an electric co-op that has traditionally kept cost to the bare minimum compared to the other companies here in Texas.

• maurice_a_smith_gmail_com
    15 years ago

FYI, the official US govt stats for each state can be found here: http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html
    These numbers seem to agree with what people have been posting - thus they're probably referring to total cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: DOE power cost by state

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

On the local news all this week, they've been reporting our rates are going up around 50%. I would assume everyone is being hit by an increase? I don't know what else I can turn off?

Kevin

• glad2garden
    15 years ago

What does Kilowatt hour mean? It looks like we pay about 15 cents per, in Massachusetts. Hey, where's the cents symbol on the keyboard??

• terp_fan
    15 years ago

glad2garden,

a kilowatt hour (KWH) is a unit of energy equivalent to drawing a 1000 watts of power for one hour, or alternatively, for powering a 100 watt light bulb for 10 hours.

--> What does Kilowatt hour mean? It looks like we pay about 15 cents per, in Massachusetts. Hey, where's the cents symbol on the keyboard??

• glad2garden
    15 years ago

terp fan,

Thank you for the simple explanation. Now I get it! Now I also think I'm going to be turning of the lights when I leave the room.

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Could our bill be any more confusing ?
    Energy charge
    5.46 cents/KWH first 1000 KWH
    6.46 above 1000 KWH

Fuel charge
    4.27 cents/KWH first 1000 KWH
    5.278 above 1000 KWH
    That does not include an extra energy and fuel charge along with several different taxes .

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    15 years ago

In my neck of the woods, we were hit with a 50% increase last year, phased in in two installments over about four months. Now the electric company wants another increase. Why? Because people have been doing so well at conserving and cutting back that the electric company's profits are down. Sheesh, you can't win...

Dee

• glad2garden
    15 years ago

Yep, the world runs on greed.

• garden_chicken
    15 years ago

Interesting to see what our neighbours to the south (and north!) pay compared to us Canucks (we're in southern Alberta).

Last month ours was:

11.944 cents/kWh base rate (average - it changes every week or so)
    20.055 cents/kWh with the taxes, balancing pool allocation rider, credits, transmission charge, administration charge, true-up rider, blah, blah, blah...

• glad2garden
    15 years ago

How do you figure out what appliances are costing in electricity? Specifically a 12,000 btu air conditioner? Or any thing, like the TV, stove, etc.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a website that may help.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions