Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Okay ladies - organic cosmetics??

Is anyone out there using organic cosmetics? I'm referring not to bath and skin care, but actual cosmetics - eye shadows, lipsticks, eyeliners, etc.

I was thinking of trying some anyway, then got a newsletter discussing the possible link between cosmetics and cancer(s), so I went on-line, found a few companies and sent for samples of eye shadows. (Don't like most of them so far, but it's more of a color problem - you know, the color shown on-line isn't really what it looks like.) Haven't tried any of them yet; maybe tomorrow.

To be honest, I was taken aback at first upon reading the ingredients - titanium dioxide, iron oxide, etc. I guess it is natural, just not the ingredient list I was expecting, lol!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any experience with cosmetics, and if anyone has any favorite companies. I'd love to hear your experiences, thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks,

Dee

Comments (20)

• scryn
    17 years ago

Mm, I have often wondered about this myself. I can not offer any advice because I haven't really found any makeup that I consider natural. Even the melalueca brand that is supposed to be natural has alot of "stuff" in it.
    I havne't done research on the link between cancer and cosmetics but I know there is alot of false information out there and you need to dig around to make sure you get correct info.
    One makeup I used to buy contains triclosan now (which I refuse to use and is not needed) so you need to read the ingrediants nearly every time you buy it because they are always changing.
    I know kissmyface has makeup and so does burtsbees, however I have not looked into it.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree that there is a lot of information out there, and also that one has to really read carefully. It can be frustrating when you try to research something and come up with directly conflicting/contradictory information.

That being said, I was already looking through several options for organic make-up - kind of a natural extension of the organic shampoo, soap, toothpaste, deodorants that I use, etc. Then I got a copy of Seventh Generation's newsletter, so I figured I'd give some of these organic eyeshadows a shot.

I have to admit I'm not completely comfortable yet with the idea of minerals, although it may just be an ignorance issue on my part. However, it seems most organic eyeshadows do contain or are made from minerals, and from what I've looked into, there aren't many other options. By the way, I looked up Melalueca, and I couldn't really find a definitive listing of ingredients for their product.

Anyway, for anyone interested, below is a link to the newsletter (with some good links of its own), and links to an article discussing the safety of titanium dioxide, and another interesting site on safe cosmetics.

:)
    Dee

http://www.theorganicmakeupcompany.com/CA/titaniumdioxide.asp

http://safecosmetics.org/newsroom/alt_med_mag_1_06.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: newsletter

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thorndncr, I just read a book that recommended that very thing for lips and cheeks. Doesn't do much for me though - not only would I probably look like I have a dirty face, lol, but I really only wear a bit of eye shadow and mascara. No foundation, blush, lipstick, etc. Thanks for the input, though!

Dee

• althea_gw
    17 years ago

Dee, your "Newsletter" link brings me back to this thread.

I don't have any suggestions for cosmetics. When I used mascara I got Aveda. I got a few other things from them too.

The following link may be helpful for finding products and also has good info about cosmetics ingredients.

Here is a link that might be useful: oca

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, sorry about that althea. Don't know how that happened! I'll try again. Thanks for your link.

Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: trying again for the newsletter!

• thorndncr
    17 years ago

Great information, thank you both! This is actually linked off of Dee's newsletter, but it seems like a good starting point for choosing products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Campaign for Safe Cosmetics - signers

• prlgrower
    16 years ago

there is an organic skin care AND cosmetics line you may be pleased with, but i have not yet tried it. i recently discovered its existance in the San Diego Natural Guide, Spring/Summer Issue. right up my alley, so doubtless i will be trying it out in the not-too-distant future. it's called miessence certified organics; the contact info is: 619-212-6820 and GreenLifeOrganics.com. apparently you could even sign up to be a rep!

good luck!

• serenespirit
    13 years ago

I have combination type skin with a tendency to break out easily in rashes and pimples ... even though I'm turning 40! :p I've been using Miessence cosmetics for 3 years plus and have had no allergic reactions or breakouts. Their products are organic or certified organic (read the product label to make sure you get what you want) and contain no GMOs, parabens, petrochemicals, and are suitable for babies and children and people with sensitive skin.

Miessence supplies cosmetic foundations, powders, lip creme, blusher, mascara and concealer.

I use the lip creme as a blusher and it gives me a natural glow...and I save on having to buy a separate blusher. The foundation gives me nice coverage without looking cakey or obvious.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

I'm 43, stopped putting that goop on my face when I was about 17, and still get asked for my ID. You do the math. Your face is fine how it is. Throw that crap out & spend the extra time out in your garden, with your family, or doing something else worthy of your time and effort. Who knows what you might want to do with the money you save...

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

I read the book, "There's Lead in Your Lipstick" by Gillian Deacon. Changed my cosmetics habits for sure. There's a lot of good information about companies, ingredients, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: There's Lead in Your Lipstick

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

I read the book, "There's Lead in Your Lipstick" by Gillian Deacon. Changed my cosmetics habits for sure. There's a lot of good information about companies, ingredients, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: There's Lead in Your Lipstick

• Stelawn
    10 years ago

Amazing solutions but will it work? Because we need to keep our makeup for hours and hours and in such conditions the natural products you all suggested here will not work. However, we can use them in some times especially to clear skin and for other purpose. For example, rose petals helps to get back the original lip colors if they are affected by using cosmetics. Tomato, potato will be helpful to remove tan. There are many such fruits and veggies, that are helpful to take care of our skin. Better way, use organic products instead of products which are having lot of chemicals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Beauty

• daiva_sv1993
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello. Yes, I am using organic cosmetics from http://www.e-godiva.com/en/produktai/intelligent-nutrients-is-.htm I buy eye gel, cleansing creme, tonic. And my face really look much more better than before.

• Pistachios (Zone 7)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've used organic cosmetics and regardless of what I purchase, I almost always check EWG (Environmental Working Group) first. It's not foolproof, but it's very helpful.

• Linda Rick
    7 years ago

I've purchased eye cream, face mask from https://www.sassafrasco.com/. It also depends on your Skin type, since i had a dry skin, i could find a lot of products over there, not sure for other skin types

• spedigrees z4VT
    6 years ago

Apart from experimenting with lipstick when I was 13 in the early 1960's, face painting with flowers and peace signs in the late 60's, and some glittery eye shadow in the 1980's, makeup has never played a part in my life. Organic or not, I just don't see the point of makeup.

• Anna Sork
    6 years ago

I live by Sweat Cosmetics! It's made of all natural, mineral ingredients with spf in the foundation, bronzer and illuminator. I use it daily and love what it does for my skin.

https://sweatcosmetics.com/pages/workout-proof-makeup-designed-by-athletes

• getgreenbewell
    5 years ago

I've gone organic in so many aspects of my life, but the cosmetics are one of the hardest parts to switch. There is a difference between wanting to switch to totally organic and all natural cosmetics, versus switching because you are worried about toxicity of ingredients.

EWG is the GOLD standard of seeing if cosmetics are toxic. Their Skin Deep Database is the best way to see what brands and what colors could be problematic.

Surprisingly, a lot of drugstore makeup not made with organic ingredients at all are very low toxicity. Among the lowest you can get by EWG standards. They're inexpensive and super easy to get. Here's a partial list of just some of the drugstore cosmetics that are among the least toxic: https://www.getgreenbewell.com/best-non-toxic-drugstore-makeup-brands-blush-and-bronzers/

Lead in lipstick is a very real concern, and even natural lipsticks have been shown to contain lead (Burt's Bees years ago was one of the highest offenders in one study). Even some organic companies say that they can't assure that their lipsticks don't contain lead. But there are a lot of great options, and they are among my favorite brands because they don't make my lips peel and itch like some conventional lipsticks do. Here are my favorites: https://www.getgreenbewell.com/10-lead-free-lipsticks-for-kissing/

100% Pure is a brand that uses all natural ingredients, with colorings from plants and fruits. There are a lot of organic companies. But what I've found is that my skin often breaks out from using all natural cosmetics. I've yet to find the reason and what ingredient it is to avoid. So the lesson is that all natural isn't always better and some drugstore choices might not be as bad as you think. It's a matter of what your reason is for choosing organic cosmetics.

• PRO
    Robert
    last year

I buy my wife only organic natural cosmetics. I think this is correct.