Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roni_inor

oak tree dilemma

roni_inor
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether to remove an oak tree that is increasingly blocking sun from my vegetable garden. This is the only place I can put the garden, and it's one of my greatest pleasures. The tree was planted by the previous owner, so it can't be more than 10 years old. I am pretty committed to living "green," and cutting down a tree feels so unethical to me! I'm wondering if I ought to just suck it up and let the garden fade in the interests of nature. I did try having it trimmed last year, and it seems to have grown right back and then some.)

As the "green" forum, I'm wondering if any of you have perspectives to share on this, justifications to help me feel better about it, thoughts on whether planting trees elsewhere and/or contributing to the arbor day foundation 'makes up for it', etc.?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• vetivert8
    12 years ago

Imagine it bigger. No. Bigger than that. At least 20m high, and it has width, too. How much yard is it taking up? Where are the leaves falling? What is the acidity doing to the concrete? How many little oaks are popping up in seriously inconvenient places? How much shade is your neighbour enduring?

Some people plant parkland trees in the darnedest places, unfortunately. And, once they reach a certain size at least one of several things happens: the local authority decides it is a 'heritage tree' and you can't do anything to it without approval; it costs you zillions to get the arborist in to remove it; branches fall on your house or worse; the roots heave up your foundations.

If you fancy having trees in the area then perhaps an espalier fence with cordon apples or pears on dwarfing rootstock so the roots don't forage in your richly composted veggie garden. (They can reach a long way. A friend has a glasshouse more than twenty feet uphill of a pine tree - and the pine roots snuck in over one growing season to take snacks with the tomatoes.)

The sooner out, the better. And, if you know any wood turners, they'd probably be glad to take the timber if you don't want to use it yourself for woodcraft or firing.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The veggies you will grow will balance the karma from the loss of the tree. As said above, an oak tree of any type is huge. If it is bothering you now, that will only increase. I also think the "lost" veggies you would have to buy at the store would be much more environmentally impactful than removing a baby tree from where it should not be. However, I don't know how it relates to your house, in terms of offering shade so your a/c doesn't run as much as it would without the tree.

If it would make you feel better to go plant a tree somewhere else, where a tree should be, please do so. Also, a more suitable replacement for your own yard could be good, like a cute little japanese maple, or hydrangea shrub... or more veggies!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions