Return to the Going Green Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
There Ought to be a Law (or not?)

Posted by joanie_pomseed 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 4, 10 at 19:55

A federal law against packaging food/drugs/soap/etc. in plastic containers not marked for recycling--what do you think? For practical reasons, if such a law existed, it would have to make allowances for products/containers that predate it. That much I'm sure of, but what other problems would there be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: There Ought to be a Law (or not?)

Whatever problems might arise, the benefit would surely outweigh them.

o

I think we have enough Federal hoops to jump through. This sort of stuff should be handled by the states. I swear it's as if the 10th amendment doesn't even exist anymore.

o

I agree that there should be some law to make things more recyclable by telling us what is in them. Handled by the states?!? I'm sorry, you want manufacturers to have to deal with up to 50 different sets of regulations on packaging? That makes no sense at all.

My particular pet peeve is the plastic stickers on fruit. I do fairly large scale composting, and taking the plastic stickers off rotting fruit is very time consuming and messy.

o

State rights have gone the way of the Buffalo. And the fed is a bumbling giant who spies on us and can't pass an effective law to save their lives. Why not let the states take care of this? Maybe then corporations would have a little trouble getting so giant that they wield more power than the government. It would encourage local business, and in turn smaller business and local farming.

o

State rights have gone the way of the Buffalo. And the fed is a bumbling giant who spies on us and can't pass an effective law to save their lives. Why not let the states take care of this? Maybe then corporations would have a little trouble getting so giant that they wield more power than the government. It would encourage local business, and in turn smaller business and local farming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Going Green Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here