Return to the Going Green Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reusing tin cans

Posted by texas_is_home (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 22:40

i am going to reuse some old soup tin cans into flower pots. any idea on what plants can live in there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reusing tin cans

What size cans?

tj

o

umm...im guessing there about medium (like those cans of spaghetti sauce)

o

i want to do something like this

http://www.bestgreenhometips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/make-your-own-planters.jpg

o

Hi to TX from CA! The link didn't work for me, so can't see what you intend, but I would guess that by a moderate sized soup you mean the family size?

I guess that whether or not a plant will be happy in this sized container depends on the soil used [regular garden soil will probably not work] -- how much sun/shade/heat the plants will get.[indoor/outdoor?] -- how long you expect to hold them in that sized container [annuals probably better suited than perennials] -- But, having raised all these questions ... one of the great joys of gardening is to push the envelope and experiment to see what works and what doesn't -- either way you win in greater knowledge --':)'

If you're going for flowers, may I suggest Lobelia? The most wonderful shade of blue and so cheerful ....more a spring flower in hot climate. Another easy to grow is Sweet Alyssum .... smell just wonderful. I have them growing in tiny nooks and crannies in my garden and they seem to thrive on neglect.... I'm trying to think of a veggie that will be happy in a smallish container ... bush beans [one] maybe. Might be fun to try and nothing beats picking a small green bean and eating raw. .... anyway, hope this helps you .... good luck in your 'tin-can-farm'

o

Below is a clickable link to the pic.

Yes, just about any annual bedding plant would work. If your part of Texas is hot you would need to water more than once a day. May need to paint the cans white so as not to bake the soil. If used in the shade, they may be a lot less work to maintain.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Cans

o

Thanks tj -- those planters are very nice. I see that size as institutional [cafeteria,school, etc.]

May I suggest the Container Gardening forum?
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/contain/
---
CONTAINER SOILS
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0715434425632.html?117
---
tj is right ... you will be a slave to contant watering unless you can rig up some kind of tray under each/all of the planters to conserve water.
---
Your motive to re-use is good. But I think that cans are among the easiest/most practical for recylers to make money on. You might want to look for recycled wood containers or even recycled plastic in a larger size ... many with a built-in watering tray.
---
anyway .... have fun! Being a steward of our earth should be fun, whatever else it is. :)

o

Well Sweet Alyssum sound delightful! the summers are more humid than hot but still. i love the way pansy's look, are they prone to dry out quickly?

o

pansies are prone to either die or go dormant with heat. There are some English ones that you can find if you look that will live longer but would be better for winter.

o

I Googled CONTAINER GARDENING and got a zillion hits.
This one has pictures for plant ideas
http://www.weekendgardener.net/container-ideas/main.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Going Green Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here