Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no males on butternut plant

Posted by LizaK13 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 3:58

I have a healthy butternut plant with lots of females . Only problem is I have no male flowers to pollanate the females. I also have a healthy gem squash plant with lots of males. Can I use the pollen from the gem squash males to pollinate my butternut females?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no males on butternut plant

Google tells me that gem squash is a c. pepo type while butternut are c. moschata species. They shouldn't cross, unfortunately. Some people complain about too many males due possibly to nitrogen excess. I don't know if it's possible to encourage vigorous vegetative growth to deliberately encourage male flowers, but it makes some backyard logic sense. Stress seems to encourage vegetables to favor pollen over fruit as well. General consensus seems to be generally that not much can be done, other than keeping the plants healthy, when underproduction of females is the common problem, so I wonder if disrupting roots and a little stress and vegetative growth is the solution to lack of males. In plant terms, I'd think a happy plant tries to flower and fruit in place, but an unhappy plant uses pollen and vining to move it's genetics to a hopefully better place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here