Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorneti

More phloem for more transportation of assimilates

acorneti
9 years ago

http://environment.harvard.edu/news/faculty-news/biggest-ever-fruit-world-0
Here Dr. Savage ( http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~jsavage/index.html ) ended with the appeal: "While the phloem limits the fruit's rate of growth, some other factor may finally kick in to stop it growing at a certain size, an unseen barrier that extreme fruit breeders will be keen to test."
A few years ago I envisaged this problem and told to Atlantic Giant growers and breeders, how to dramatically enhance phloem in vines. But my method was heavily censored at the big pumpkins.com forum and my grower diary there was cancelled.
Now I show it again, how i make cucurbit vines much broader, because that's the best way to procude more phloem:
I infect the seedling with the so-called virus from our well known dragon willow "Salix sachalinensis 'Sekka' "!

This post was edited by acorneti on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 13:26

Comments (8)

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This pictures are from a C. pepo 'Paintball' plant, I have bred with very small fruits in best edible quality and a size like 'Baby Bear'. Now we say C. pepo 'Little Sekka'.

This post was edited by acorneti on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 13:29

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...and they were not full-grown, when harvested caused by weather in the middle of September. With a "stay-green factor" here I have knocked out the stopping of phloem growth.
    And I all did without GMOs!
    It is not a GMO, when I use the whole organism with infected willow juice.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some fruits began to mature in autumn, but even those had more green then orange in February.
    Fruit size of the normally matured fruits (without Sekka - seen left at these pictures) always was fixed in late July or early August.
    The Sekka plasmodia-like organism always retards lignification.

This post was edited by acorneti on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 13:33

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here only a side vine was infected with the pollen of a nearby plant, which was infected as germling.
    Pollen infected flowers of the scallop squash plant some weeks before and developed the short double vine through Sekka wandering in the plant sap.
    Botany officially speaks of a Sekka virus, but I think, that it must be a plasmodia-like organism.

This post was edited by acorneti on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 13:38

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This C. pepo 'Little Sekka' was grown as cover crop for C. moschata plants and culled early July 2014. You can see a C. moschata 'Pennsylvania Dutch Crookneck' plant at the right end of this picture. This plant could develop vines in the huge bush of Little Sekka, while other C. moschata plants suffered agony in late spring and early summer through our harsh climate. You can see such suffering front left. The C. moschata right of it looks a little better through the wind shield of the huge Sekka bush, but it drags behind the better covered PAD Crookneck.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In front if the corn field you can see a row of C. pepo Patisson Jaune Vert at the left half of the picture. Here the first plant was infected by this huge Sekka bush.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your words to bear on: "Though I must admit I am skeptical of most things you say mainly because all the things you claim could occur without your involvement."
    You should better read for more quicker grasp, Sir!
    I have told readers here, how to make the plant juice with plasmodia-like organisms or "sekka virus", and how to infect the germling without violation through soaking and watering the pot only with the juice of broadened branches and leaf from Salix sachalinensis Sekka.
    Iôve discussed common fasciation and my artificial broadening through Sekka with the elite of giant pumpkin growers some years ago and I heared a very broad spectrum of opinions, so you should and can not generalize one of them!
    The double fruit comes through rasping of the two single fruits in an early stage after pollination.
    You canôt find any genetic base for double fruits like you see here.
    I thought to have brought it to mind, but I have to give you extra lessons: you can force such double or triple or even more habitual fusion of fruits with my Sekka-technique, because here you easily get a whole lotta nodes closely packed up.
    I hope to have satisfied you.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm