Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about frozen gourd seeds

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 4, 08 at 8:57

Hi all,
This is my first year growing birdhouse and dipper gourds (not to be confused with Tipper Gores).
They are drying on my covered porch and are occasionally getting frozen, which I've heard is fine. But I just read the other day that even though the gourds can stand the cold, the seeds cannot, and they probably won't be viable for next year. Have any of you found that some of them can make it through a cold winter (zone 5)? Would I just take a sample next spring/summer and try to sprout them indoors and guestimate what the percentage is? How long would those take to sprout, if they were going to? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about frozen gourd seeds

Many seeds are stored frozen, including gourd seeds, and retain their viability for years. Also, many of us dry our gourds on the vine out in the weather so doubt you'll find much problem. If the seeds are rattling loose in the gourd you can go ahead and crack it open, air dry the seeds well indoors, and then store till spring in a paper envelope.

They will sprout in 6-10 days in the spring but as gourds need a long growing season, I always pre-start mine at the same time I start my tomato transplants. Then you have a good sized, well established plant to transplant out once the weather warms.

Good luck and enjoy your gourds. ;)

Dave

o
RE: Question about frozen gourd seeds

Thanks Dave!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here