Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
groall

Looking for seed......

groall
13 years ago

I had a lady ask for a squash/pumpkin she ate as a child....having just moved here from overseas.....I think I have found what she was trying to describe.....Ukrainian winter squash.....sweet and pumpkin like....it is described in several cooking articles but I have not been able to locate seeds.....any help out there...thks

Comments (7)

• groall
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another squash/pumpkin I have come across is a Vitamin Pumpkin....looks and sounds like it might fill the bill......does anyone know anything about it.......

• mrs.b_in_wy
    13 years ago

I'm afraid I haven't tried either of them. What do you suppose the reaction would be if you were to contact Northwoods Organic Produce (for instance), asking about seeds for Ukrainian? (I picked Northwoods just because Surdyk's has a little blurb about this grower, noting Dave Massey supplies the shop with Ukrainian winter squash.)

Vitamin Pumpkin looks interesting. If it truly is a Russian variety, you might be on to something. Do you have a seed source besides KCB?

• groall
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mrs.b, I use mainly Baker Creek and KCB for my seeds...both have been great with their service...Michel at KCB has always been very helpful, he has a great selection and has squash you never hear of or see any place else.....because you have to pay in EU's PayPal is a must have and he doesn't like to send to many packages because Customs can be a problem......Looks like Vitamin Pumpkin might be a winner...reminds me a little of another squash I have read about on the web....

• mrs.b_in_wy
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear you've had good luck with KCB. I go there and daydream endlessly. Good to know about him not wanting to send too many packages due to potential Customs problems. I've been admiring the Greys & Crowns selections lately. Indomatrone for starters. But then I jump the fence into the moschatas. Who can resist Yuxijiangbinggua?

Maybe next year :)

• groall
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mrs.B...sent Northwood Organic Produce asking about possible seeds for Urkrainian Squash....have not heard anything back....Dave Massey might be to busy to get involved with an individual grower....or his computer filtered me out, but if anyone out there has knowledge of a source for Ukrainian Squash....I'm interested in seeing the Strawberry Crown when they mature since looks as well as taste are what I go for in Winter Squash...I had a Boston Marrow which looked like a large goose sleeping and a large Iran which looked like it was on fire with all the color combos....

• fpgoa
    13 years ago

I was trying to come up with some info for you (interesting as it sounds my dad's family come from Ukraine but they left over a century ago) but did find out that it is a tradition there that when a young man proposes and the bride of his dreams decides she doesn't want to say yes, she gives him a pumpkin. Parents who have beautiful daughters are told to "grow a bunch of pumpkins".

• bwaynef
    11 years ago

I know ZERO about them, other than they sounded good, but through a trade I was able to pick up some Ukrainian Sweet Potato Squash. I've not been able to find a (commercial) source of seeds or any other information, but after this summer, I hope to have a little better idea of what I'm dealing with.

I've got a limited number of seeds. How many would be worth your while ...if you're interested.

(I'm going to try my hand at hand-pollinating several of these and bagging so I can save the seeds.)

Sponsored