Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kr222

What's best for pumpkin pie? Pumpkin or squash?

kr222
15 years ago

I'm hoping to make homemade pumpkin pie this year. Recently I heard that the pumpkin in a can at the store is really a winter squash. Now I'm not sure what to grow. I don't have much space (most likely I'll use a 20" container). What squash or pumpkin would taste best in a pumpkin pie in your opinions? A bush or semi-bush variety would be best. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• akowaleski
    15 years ago

People say that the Winter Luxury Pumpkin is excellent for pies. It is relatively small, so you could grow it in a large container.

It can be purchased from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds www.rareseeds.com or Johnny's seeds

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

For the best flavor, use a sugar pumpkin to make a homemade Pumpkin Puree. This variety of pumpkin, also known as "New England Pie" and "Sugar Pie" weighs from five to eight pounds and is known for its sweet, fine-grained flesh.

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin pie

• Macmex
    15 years ago

kr222,

Do you live where there are squash vine borers? If so, that would be one reason to consider a c. moschata variety. The other, in my opinion, is that c. pepo pumpkins (the traditional Jack O Lantern and pie pumpkins) can only rarely hold a candle to the c. moschatas. C. Moschata's, such as cheese pumpkins and butternuts, regularly have better color and are normally completely fiberless. When placed alongside of the fact that these squash are way more resistant to borers, I would highly recommend that you consider them.

Here's a link to a great discussion of the different species of squash.

Just one disclaimer: this is not to say that Winter Luxury or New England Sugar aren't good pie pumpkins. I have grown a small hard shelled, orange pumpkin, which had very good quality. But I still mainly depend on c. moschatas because of their dependability.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Squash & Pumpkins

• kr222
    Original Author
    15 years ago

George,
    I'm not sure about SVB's. This will be my first time growing squash, and it looks like I may have one of the only vegetable gardens in the neighborhood (small yards around here). Thanks for the link to the other thread. I've been following that one since Dawn and I veered off topic in a watermelon discussion and had to start a new thread. Both you and Dawn have posted tons of great information on that link. I've learned a lot from it already. Thanks.
    Kim

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

All winter long, we eat pies made from Johnny's Confection and Cha Cha squash. One squash makes a pretty full pie.

Take squash, rinse off, halve, scoop seeds, and bake for an hour at 350º, let cool, scoop flesh into food processor.
    Add two eggs, 1 1/2 cup milk, 2 tablespoons cinnamon and 1 tablespoon ginger. Dollop of molasses, dollop of honey, puree all up and pour into pie shell. Bake an hour at 350º

Repeat as necessary.

• torikei
    15 years ago

You know I love pumpkins and squash. My favorite pumpkin for baking and pumpkin butter is the winter luxury pumpkin. It makes a very mild pumpkin pie similar to old fashioned squash pie. Winter luxury pumpkins don't last long--so you basically grow, process and freeze. These pumpkins can't compare to anything you find in the grocery store. When processed, they are great for low fat cooking. Pumpkin butter from these is out of this world.

I use Queensland's Blue for pumpkin pie. They have a little more depth to their flavor. They are an Australian pumpkin that will last a long time in your cellar. I still have some in my basement--which is warmer than a typical cellar would be.

Now if you want beauty--plant the musquee de provence. It looks like a cinderella pumpkin and is absolutely beautiful. You can cook with it--but I don't. It just doesn't compare to the pumpkins above.

My favorite squash is the Potimarron. It's a French squash that has an unbelievable taste. I often wonder what it would taste like if made into pumpkin pie. We usually just eat it straight from the oven. These last a long time.

Tori

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living