Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter squashes for my kennel

Posted by dilwen South Central PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 15:18

A few years ago we bought an outdoor dog kennel to give our indoor cats some outdoor time. The cats are no longer using it, and I would like to try growing some winter squashes up it. It is six foot high, and very sturdy, I think. I was thinking of something like Sweet Dumpling, but I'm hoping to try something a bit bigger. I'm pretty sure the trellis can handle the weight of the vines just fine, but I'm wondering how small the squash would have to be to keep gravity from snapping the fruit off the vines. A squash that is sweet and not too watery would be nice. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter squashes for my kennel

I'm doing the same thing this coming season. Vertical is the way to go....supposedly should be super nice with the increased air-flow from underneath. I'm keeping to 2 - 4 pounders ( I got many of my seeds from ebay ). I'm growing on the trellis Table Queen Acorn, Delicata ( Sweet Potato ) and Red Kuri Squash. ...
Also you may want to look on Youtube...I saw some videos on people growing gourds this way....BIG ones too...it will be reassuring. Check for my post in this section...see what you think of my squash arbor...good luck

o
RE: winter squashes for my kennel

• Posted by dilwen zone7 eastcoast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 22:08

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping I can grow something 4 or 5 pounds. I've been looking at some of the Japanese squashes available at Baker Creek, and I really like to grow one of the if I can. I guess my main concern is that it is too vertical. Some of the squash trellises I've seen are arches. I'll check out youtube

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here