Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you hang your birdhouse gourds?

Posted by gourd_friends z5/6 IL (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 8, 07 at 15:43

There are so many ways to hang gourds, what's your favorite method? We're talking about finished gourds here............??

I've used twine, leather, stovepipe wire, raffia, and other string/twine type materials.
Sometimes, I've added a stick or bamboo through the gourd.

Sometimes its whatever suits the gourd design, sometimes its whatever I have handy.

Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you hang your birdhouse gourds?

I have given mine away and noone has complained - yet!
I use leather thong (thicker than a shoelace), thick hemp and copper wire. I use a good long length of copper wire and wrap it around a pencil to coil the ends so that it looks like vining on a morning glory ... 'tis cute and gives a great look. I also use thick silver-looking wire and do the same thing - usually one of the wire colors matches what I have done.

o

I've used twine, but it's not durable for long term outdoor use. I've also used a sturdy wire-bent here and there to look more rustic.
gardenkiwi-I love the idea of using copper wire and coiling the ends a bit!

o

Thanks sowngrow!
I was so busy getting the bug that I have on the gourd that I didn't get a good photo of the coiled wire "tendrils" but here is the link anyhow! I have not taken photos of any of the others that I can think of. Next time I shall make sure I get decent pictures to share!
Rita in Michigan

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdhouse with copper wire

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here