Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there such thing as a 'hard shelled' pumpkin gourd?

Posted by mersiepoo 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 12 at 15:50

I grew some, they look just like pumpkins, but they dry as a hard shelled gourd. I was wondering what the name of this variety is, as I've never seen them in catalogs before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there such thing as a 'hard shelled' pumpkin gourd?

Pumpkins and ornamental gourds (the small colorful ones) are the same species and cross freely. It isn't uncommon to get a strange hybrid. A lot of times these hybrids have warts, such as knuckle head and the smaller goosebumps.

Knuckle Head:
Knuckle Head Pumpkin

It is generally not wanted to have pumpkins with hard shells because you can't carve them, or make pies out of them, even though I wouldn't make a pie out of an orange pumpkin anyway. As a consequense other than the warted ones, which also dry, I don't know of a seed source.

o

Hi weirdtrev! Thank you for replying! I have grown this pumpkin thing for a few years and it pretty much looks the same, so I'm assuming it's not a hybrid. It doesn't have warty stuff on it, it just looks exactly like a pumpkin. The crazy thing is, the 'flesh' is exactly like spaghetti squash too.

o

Concur: There are winter squash, that have shells so hard that you need a machete or chainsaw to open them. Hubbards for example. The difference between them and a true gourd (Lagenaria siceraria) is that the flesh does not dry away as they are cured. Makes the squash group difficult to dry altho they will hold for an extended period.

o

mersiepoo:
If what you say is correct, then you may have the pumpkin I have been searching four years for. If at all possible, might I persuade you into sending me a collection of those seeds? And/or a photo of these pumpkins, so I can confirm they are what I have been searching for?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here