Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

anything new for 2012?

brookw_gw
12 years ago

After a very disappointing squash/pumpkin season last year, I'm cutting down considerably on the number of varieties for this year. As much as I love heirlooms, I'm also trying more hybrids this year. I was very impressed with Avalon butternut and would like to try out a couple other hybrids. My main crop butternuts tho' will be the Tahitians. A new spaghetti squash will be Stripetti, and a new delicata will be Honey Boat. Speckled Pup, bat wing acorn, and Orange Cutie will be added. I'll still have over a dozen weird heirlooms, but nothing like the past two years.

The demand for regular pumpkins has me trying Camaro, Corvette, and Mustang. Knuckleheads, Goosebumps, and Cinderellas will also increase. Smaller-sized pumpkins will remain the same.

I'll plant about the same amount of gourds as last year as I've still got about 8 bushels left over from 2 years ago. I liked the Daisy series but was unimpressed with the winged gourds.

Comments (13)

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

If you interested in novelties try Porcelian Doll

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I'm always up for something new. Is that a pumpkin, squash, or gourd? Did a Google search and came up empty.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Porcelain doll is an introduction from DP Seeds. It is a 20 25 lb shocking pink pumpkin released so growers can have for breast cancer awareness month. http://www.thepacker.com/fruit-vegetable-news/Pink-Pumpkin-Patch-to-aid-cancer-research-134034643.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain Doll

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome!! This one's definitely going to make my inventory list. Thank you very much for the link.

Brook

• halecards
    12 years ago

I'm growing a lot of new things this year! For squash: Spaghetti squash, Hubbard squash, Carnival squash, and Turks Turban squash. For pumpkins: Connecicut Field, Howden, Small World of Color, Red Warty Thing, Jamboree, Rumbo, Gurneys Giant Magic Hybrid, Big Max, Jack be little, Baby Boo White, Wolf, Galeuse D Eysines, Cinderella, and Howden Biggie!

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a really nice assortment. I noticed on your other post you sell. Some really great sellers for me have been Knucklehead and Goosebumps. Cinderella also sells out quickly. I actually profit more on small pumpkins though. One hill of pie pumpkins, like Small Sugar, produces far more $2 pumpkins than a hill of regular pumpkins that make a couple $3-4 pumpkins. Of all my winter squashes, butternuts are hands down the most popular. Good luck this year.

• pendog66
    12 years ago

new ones for this year are Pik-A-Pies, Lumina, and Appalachian F1

• halecards
    12 years ago

Thank you! Yeah, last year was a start for me, but this year I'm hoping to have more and bigger pumpkins! I'm excited to grow the winter squashes too, some are really cool looking! Good luck to you too!

• User
    12 years ago

A new one for the british market - Autumn Crown, a hybrid between butternot (does not always ripen in an english summer) and Crown Prince (which is reliably fast. Looks like a smaller Crown Prince but the same honey colour as butternut.

• lazey
    12 years ago

A lot of what I am trying this year I tried last year but got cleaned out by bugs. I have so many different seeds this year I had to make a list in a word processor... Here are all squash/gourds/pumpkins:

Gourds:
    Birdhouse
    Small Fancy Mix

Pumpkins:
    Dill's Atlantic Giant
    Early Sugar pie
    Williams Naked Seeded

Summer squash:
    Crookneck, Early Golden
    Scallop, Early White Bush
    Scallop, Yellow Bush
    Straightneck, Early Prolific
    Straightneck, Early Yellow
    Zucchini, Dark Green
    Zucchini, Goldtender
    Zucchini, Grey Gourmet Hybrid
    Zucchini, Greyzini
    Zucchini, Round (grey)

Winter squash:
    Acorn Squash
    Banana, Pink Jumbo
    Buttercup, Burgess (Winter Harvest Mix)
    Butternut, Waltham (Winter Harvest Mix)
    Delicata (Winter Harvest Mix)
    Hubbard, Golden
    Hubbard, True Green Improved
    Spaghetti, Vegetable (Winter Harvest Mix)
    Victor (Red warty thing)

I've grown pumpkin before, and regular green zuchinnis, crooknecks and straightnecks, but a lot of the varieties will be new for me. This is my first time trying to grow gourds, as I usual grow for food, not decoration.

• lazey
    11 years ago

Adding Casper, Lumina and green striped cushaw to my list.

• grow_your_own
    11 years ago

Only doing 3 varieties of squash, -but they're all new to me.

Anna Schwartz Hubbard
    Potimarron
    Boston Marrow

• xxx1angel3xxx
    11 years ago

I'm only doing summer squash this year but, I'm starting.
    Burpee's fordhook
    early white scallop (doing really good)
    49er
    and kazi's kross

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting