Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help From Somebody Who Has Good Luck With C. Maxima

Posted by euarto_gullible 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 23:24

Hello,

I have some squash seeds that I gathered in the villages of Macedonia while a Peace Corps volunteer in 2007. One of them is a large seeded c. maxima variety. I have tried to grow it for several years, but they are very susceptible to bacterial wilt here and I grow organically. I really would like to see what they are.
I would like to send the seed to somebody who wants to grow it out along with postage, if they'll save pure seed and mail some back to me next winter. Both years the plants were majestic and long before wilt got them. Those villagers grew some wild stuff, and I would hate for this to be some special rare variety that simply languishes in my collection until it becomes nonviable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help From Somebody Who Has Good Luck With C. Maxima

Euarto, I'd recommend you either try someone in the western part of the country or else, a real expert with squash, who, like you mention, has had success with c. maximas. Here in my part of Oklahoma, they are VERY susceptible to squash vine borers. You might contact Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation Center. He's such an expert. But if a GW member, say from Washington State or California, were to offer, I bet they could do it for you.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here