Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my gourds thin-skinned ?

Posted by sunita India (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 24, 09 at 7:08

Is there any reason why my gourds are all thin-skinned rather than thick? I was told that given certain conditions gourds can become thicker-skinned. Is that true or am I just growing gourds which are naturally thin-skinned?
I usually sow the seeds during our monsoons in June - Sept. That is traditionally the time when all gourds are grown here in Mumbai (India).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my gourds thin-skinned ?

Don't know. Gourds come in different species. Also the "hard shell"gourds (Lagenaria siceraria) are grown in India and southeast Asia as a food crop. I would expect that they would put a premium on a thin skin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourds

o

Thanks for the link, farmerdilla. You're right, gourds, especially bottlegourds are mainly used as a food crop and the thin skin is handy for that. But I use the round variety of bottlegourds (I'm sorry, they dont go by any other name here) for crafting and the thin skin is a disaster for that. I would have thought that when it is left to mature and dry the skin would also become thick but it doesnt. Would it have anything to do with the extra moisture during the monsoon season. Does anybody know?

o

I have no idea. There are round bottle gourds like Bhoomi which are grown for food. Calabash , birdhouse and like hardshell gourds are used for crafts in this country. The shells when dried are not necessarily thick but very hard. Not in the same class but Tinda is a small round gourd gaining rapidly in this country as an edible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Gourds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here