Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brookw_gw

2011 planting lists

brookw_gw
13 years ago

Ok, It's getting a little quiet around here, so it's time to know. What are you all planting for this year? I suppose I'll start off and reveal the extent of my disorder. To keep it within reason, I'll only list the winter squash and pumpkins. Most of these I've grown in the past, but there are probably 12-15 new varieties I'm anxious to try. I've added about 5 new varieties of gourds but will drastically cut down plantings as I have about 15 bushels of them left over.

Winters: Australian butter, blue hubbard, baby blue hubbard, red hubbard, boston marrow, table ace acorn, carnival, cream of the crop, delicata, sweet dumpling, lakota, buttercup, black futsu, red kuri, marina d'chioggia, golden delicious, mooregold, greek sweet red, green striped cushaw, so il white, tahitian butternut, butternuts (waltham, avalon, really big, argonaut), pink banana, long island cheese, tesukabuto, hokkori, guatamalan blue, queensland blue, speckled hound, sweet meat, sunshine, gold nugget, spaghetti.

pumpkins: baby pam, hijinks, batwings, baby bear, jack be little, wee b little, pumpkimon, big max, howden field, connecticut field, jack 0'lantern, orange smoothie, winter luxury, new eng sugar, small sugar, spookie, lumina, cinderella, peanut, american tonda, red eye, jarradale, triamble, seminole.

Comments (7)

• iam3killerbs
    13 years ago

That is quite a list.

I'm not quite finalized yet, but I should have it figured out later this weekend.

I've never tried the Tahitian Melon Squash. I remember seeing them in all the seed catalogs when I was a kid, but I don't think I ever see it for sale anymore. Is it really that much sweeter than other butternut types? Really sweet enough to eat raw?

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

Man Brooke, you must have a garden the size of British Columbia!

I am only doing Cinderella pumpkin (Rouge vif D'Etampes), Honeyboat Delicata, and Sweet Dumpling. And even so, I am thinking they are going to be rudely invading my garden neighbor's space. (community plot).

• howden777
    12 years ago

Wow!! Brookw, it sounds like you have been to Baker Creek's website... and bought half of their stock! haha ;)

My list is humble for my 96 +/- sq. ft. of raised bed this year, but I am very excited about it nonetheless! My rotation schedule has them in a 3' x 32' bed along my back fence this year, so smaller fruit I can possibly support with slings tied to the fence are the order of the day. For 2011, I will be growing Potimarron, Zucchini-Lungo Bianco (a light cream green Italian heirloom), and Pattison Golden Marbre Scallop which is used both as a summer and winter squash. Next year I will be rotating my wonderful squashes to one of my larger beds... oh the possibilities!!

• brookw_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have 5 acres and plant main crops of butternut, assorted pumpkins,gourds,spags, and acorns. I only plant 2 or 3 hills each of the specialty crops. I will give a variety a couple tries over two years; and if it doesn't sell or I don't like it, I eliminate it. This year is one of those experimental years; next year, I'll pare that list probably in half. Still, I always make room for several new varieties. I'm saturated this year but am always looking for suggestions on which squash to try next,so feel free to add to the insanity

Brook

• donkenzie
    12 years ago

This is my first year growing squash/pumpkins! I tried to last year but the seeds rotted in the soil, it must've been too wet? This year I have some very healthy looking Rouge Vif D'Etampes, Marina di Chiogga, Atlantic Giant, and Musquee de Provence. I've heard they don't do well with transplants but mine are currently in red solo cups so I'm hoping they do okay with the move.

• susancol
    12 years ago

You have only to read the 2010 lists to know that I was quite thoroughly defeated in my ambitious squash plan. This year I'll be more cautious. Zucchini and C. Moschata are the order of the day. Take that SVB!
    Golden Zucchini
    Greyzini
    Butterstick Zucchini
    Cocozelle Zucchini

Metro (mini butternuts)
    Tromboncino Rampicante
    Long Island Cheese Pumpkins

Got the Turkey injector. Buying the BT today to squirt into the Zuch vines. Die, SVB Die!
    Susan

• sheryl_ontario
    12 years ago

I am planting:

Hopi Black
    Hopi Pale Gray
    Turban (Turk's Cap)
    Sweet Dumpling
    Upper Ground sweet potato squash

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews