Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimi_carol

Gourd as a bread warmer

Mimi_Carol
19 years ago

I went to a couple of craft shows over the fall and winter and saw gourds that were being used for warming bread in a microwave. The gourds had a top that usually was cut at varying points - I'm guessing so there was no question as to how the top fit. The gourds were painted in acrylics and sealed. Customers were told that a cloth liner (fabric, dish towel) could be put in the gourd, place the bread that is to be warmed on the liner, put the gourd with bread in the microwave for a few seconds (depending on how much bread,etc.) and then remove from microwave and cover with the lid. Since the gourd is a natural insulater the bread would stay warm for some time.

Have any of you seen these and if so, do you know where they might be purchased other than at a craft show? The gourds cost between $15 - $45.

Mimi

Comments (32)

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Mimi, that sounds like a good idea. Can you explain a little more about how the top was cut? Thanks.

• Mimi_Carol
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I didn't do the gourds - I only saw them and since we were traveling, I didn't buy one - to my regret.

The tops were cut either in deep "v" shapes of varying depths around the circumference of the gourd about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down. Some were done in deep scallops - which I liked better. I don't remember what was used as a knob on the top but whatever the knob was, was probably glued on since a screw wouldn't work because it goes in the microwave. Of course, I believe the bread is warmed without the lid on. Hmmm...

I'm thinking the gourds were cut and then painted and then sealed. Some that were for sale had "matching" cloth to wrap the rolls/bread in and some didn't. I guess the seller was offering whatever it took to attract buyers. Some of the gourds were round and some were more elongated - I know nothing about gourd varieties so I am no help there.

I hope this helps. It was a really unique and useful idea.
    Mimi

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Mimi-Are you sure the gourd was put into the microwave? I would be very leery of putting a gourd that has been sealed and painted into a microwave. I wonder what type of sealer was used? I would think it would have to be a type that is safe for food. Are you sure they didn't heat the rolls in the liner then place them in the gourd container to keep them warm? I wish there was some way we could get more information on this. I have several large gourds that I need to make use of that would be great for this type of thing. I'm going to do some Google searching and see what I can come up with. I'll post my finings,if I come up with anything useful.......Lillie

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

OK......I did a search and nowhere did I find anything that said to put the gourd with the bread inside into the microwave. I did find this information,which to me sounds more logical than putting the gourd into the microwave:
    About Bread Warmers: Bread Warmer gourds are an artful table decoration and serve the vital function of keeping the bread warm. Here's how they work:

1.Take your hot bread, tortillas, muffins, whatever from the oven.
    2.Quickly wrap the bread in a thick cotton cloth napkin in the bottom half of the Bread Warmer gourd.
    3.Place the lidded top half of the Bread Warmer gourd on the bottom half, lining up the arrow marks so that it fits snugly and holds the warmth of the bread.
    The Bread Warmer gourd, a wood-like substance, has a natural insulating quality that will keep your bread warm for a long time.
    The Bread Warmer gourd can also be used to keep fruit and cheese cool for a summertime patio party
    There was one site included a rice packet,basically a pouch made from cotton fabric and filled with rice(not instant rice),that was warmed in the microwave and placed in the bottom of the gourd to keep the bread warm for up to 1 hour. Be sure to use cotton fabrics as synthetics may catch on fire in the microwave. This sounded like a neat idea to me. Every site I found used non-toxic paints,dyes and sealers on the gourds. So......I am off to make some gourd bread warmers!..............Lillie

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Mimi, thanks for your reply on the cut of the top. I think what you are describing is a regular cut for a lidded bowl to keep the top from falling in. Thanks for reply.

Lillie, where in the world did you get this information on Google? What did you search for? I'm glad you did because I would like to make some of these for a show I'm doing along with salt & pepper shakers. That was good information. Thanks for posting.

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

I saw a bread warmer where the seller includes a rice packet with the bread warmer with the instruction to heat in microwave. I'm assuming these rice packets are like the ones being made for sore muscle, etc. Another idea.

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Nonnie-I just typed in "gourd bread warmers" and came up with a lot of sites.I didn't even get past the first page!LOL I am working on one right now to experiment with.I think I will make the rice packet(I did mention that in my second post)too and see how that works.I think that would keep the bread warm longer.One thing I know for sure,I need a saw of some kind to cut the top out of these gourds if I make very many of them.That exacto knife just isn't getting it!LOL They are cut just as you would a lidded bowl or container.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Search/Bread warmers

• Mimi_Carol
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You are probably right about not putting the gourd in the microwave!! The other way makes waaaayyy more sense. But these were so cool and so pretty! Not too mention unique!

Thanks for doing the Google search!

Even though I don't "do" gourds in my crafting, I may just give these a try!

If you make any, post your pictures. I'd love to see them.

Thanks again!
    Mimi

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Lillie, you MUST get a mini-jigsaw! You will not believe how easier your life will be. I have a Proxxon Mini-Jigsaw and it is great. If you ever get one I would suggest that you use the fine blades-they make the sawing a lot easier.
    I copied and pasted your first post and didn't read it all the way through so sorry about double posting information. We must have different Goggles (LOL) because I put in a search for the same thing and didn't get the instructions you got. Oh, well, as long as I got them. I, too, am going to make a bread warmer next so that I can experiment. Let's post our finding, okay?

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Nonnie-I have been wanting a mini-jigsaw for ages but just can't seem to find any extra money laying around!LOL There is a link below for some of the ones I have looked at.They have one of their own brand that is smaller than the Proxon.Maybe someday soon I will be able to afford one.I could do so many neat things with one.
    I don't know about the Google thing.I thought Google was all the same??
    I will post pictures when I finish the bread warmer.It may be a while though as I don't have a digital camera.I will have to take up a whole roll of film,then have them developed on a disc.Also,I'm having some trouble getting the lid to fit back snugly but am working on it.Another idea I had was using the canteen gourds for tortilla warmers.I think they would be cool.I just need to find and buy some the correct size!
    God bless.............Lillie

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourd Crafting Tools

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

The Caning Shop is where I got my mini-saw. These people are great to work with. I ordered and received The Gourd Saw and used it for about a month and it just would not do what I need on these thick Georgia gourds. I called the Shop and told them my problem and that I didn't have my invoice any longer. We talked at length, at their expense, about what I needed and they sent me the Proxxom saw and told me to use it and decide which one I wanted and to then send back the other one. No problem whatsoever! I kept the Proxxon. I understand about the no money laying around. Keep a jar and put every little quarter, dime, nickle, penny into it. You will not be disappointed.

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Nonnie-Have you seen this saw? It looks like it would be easy to use and would work on any thickness of gourd. Do you grow your own gourds? I need a source for some good thick ones. I have bought most of my gourds from E-Bay but S&H is getting so outrageous even that isn't a bargain anymore................Lillie

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourd Sword

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

I have not heard of the Gourd Sword. It looks easier to use and probably easier to handle. The only thing I would not like about it is that it makes a wider cut than the jig-saw which would not be good for lidded gourds. The lids would fall through the opening. As I told you, I have the Proxxon Jig-Saw and I got it for $64.95. I already had the transformer when I got The Gourd Saw. Your site had a lot of information on each, except the Proxxon, and you will probably have to read each of the advantages and disadvantages to see what would be best for you. Regardless, save those pennies!

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Lillie, I forgot to say that, No, I don't grow gourd but wish I could . I don't have enough sunlight to grow them. I am going to get my hubby to make me a trellis so that I can grow some up in the front. There is an empty lot next to use with all trees so the trellis and gourds would not be too distracting.

There is a lady here in Wrens, Georgia, Mrs. Lena Braswell who is acknowledged in a lot of gourd books who sells a lot of different kinds of gourds. I don't know if she ships and I don't have her telephone number but you could call information and get her number and call her. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on the saws Nonnie.I wondered about the blade on the Gourd Sword.I have looked at the Proxxon on another site.That was my first choice.I assume that lower priced transformer will work? I doubt I would be using it with more than the one tool at a time.I will see if I can get in touch with the lady you mentioned.Thanks...Lillie

• ghoghunter
    19 years ago

If you go to Google and put in the search term "gourd bread warmer" then click on search but now look up top and see the choice of images and you click on it. Several images of painted gourds used as bread warmers appear.

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Lillie, I saw on another site that you saw where they used plastic on the inside of the bread warmers and wanted to know where you could get something like this. I have a product called PLASTI DIP. It is a multi-purpose rubber coating. On the front it shows pliers handles being dipped in it. It also insulates. This would probably work as long as the gourd is not anywhere near a flame. IT IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. It can be used on nearly anthing. It says on the can it is flexible. It would be nice if it could be brushed on the inside of a gourd and then, after drying, removed and used when necessary. Hmmmm, another project to try! No wonder I don't get any gourds decorated!! I couldn't find this at Home Depot but found it at my local hardware store.

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

ghoghunter-Thanks for the suggestion.Google is where I found all the information that I have so far.The problem I am having is that all the sites I have found so far just sell them but nobody gives any information about how to seal,what kind(if any)of plastic they use inside or instructions on how to use them.So at this point I am trying to gather all the information I can find from other sources,or from people who have actually made these or used them.
    Nonnie-You sound like me!LOL I have too many distractions,so much to do and not enough hours in the day!The PlastiDip sounds like it might work but I wonder if it would be toxic putting heated bread in it? I am going to look for that though because it sounds like something I might be able to use as waterproofing inside my gourd fountains.Is it sticky when it dries? I used silicone(just painted on a thin layer)inside the fountain I experimented on but I'm not satisfied with it.It sealed it just fine but it is sticky feeling when dry.Back to the drawing board on that one.LOL I also wondered about using the acrylic stuff that you pour into the molds after placing dried flowers and stuff in them.You know what I'm talking about? It dries clear. Maybe pour it inside the gourd and roll it around to coat the whole thing.Hmmmm another something to experiment with.LOL I really don't want to get to fancy with the finishing stuff though because it could get pretty expensive and it wouldn't be cost effective.You would have to charge more than anyone would want to pay in order to make a profit.Anyway,thanks so much for all the information and suggestions.Keep em' coming!.....Lillie

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Lilli, I never used it! I bought it to use in my water fountains and used spar varnish instead. I did a search on Google and it says that it is harmful or fatal if swolled. It doesn't say anything about keeping out of contact with food, etc. Maybe our first idea to use for fountains is the best and not use it for bread warmers.

Sandra

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Sandra-That would probably be a good idea!LOL Someone told me they used bondo for the inside of their fountains.There is a kind that comes already mixed and you can apply it with a brush.I may check that out next fountain I make.
    Something else I just thought of for the inside of the bread warmers is Tung Oil.I know it is used on wooden salad bowls and is non toxic.Once the inside of the gourd is sanded it could be applied just as you would for a salad bowl.That may be the first thing I try.Many years ago I had one of those wooden salad bowl sets and remember refurbishing it ever so often with Tung Oil.I still have it somewhere and it still looked good the last time I remember seeing it.OK,since that problem may be somewhat solved,I just need to concentrate on getting the proper tools to cut the tops off these gourds and get busy!LOL
    Have you seen the tool set that is on sale at the Caning Shop website?I think the saw,sander,drill and transformer all for $154.00.Look and tell me if that is the saw you have.It is a Proxxon.It sounds like a good deal to me even though I already have a Dremmel drill.I know I would make good use of the saw and the sander.OK,I have to get up and get ready to go out to eat.DS is taking DH and I out to a steak/seafood place for Valentine's supper.
    Later......Lillie

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Lillie, great minds think alike. I, too, have some oil for wooden salads or butcher blocks that I was going to use on my fountains but I had decided to use it for the bread warmer. I figured that since the gourd wouldn't go into the microwave the oil shoudn't not be a problem.

I looked at The Caning Shop and, yes, that is definitely a good deal. As it said it retails separately for $209.00. The saw is not the Proxxon. It is The Gourd Saw and is the saw I had first and then swapped for the Proxxon. In hindsight I think that it would have been fine for me. I was using coarse blades and am a firm believe now that fine blades do a better job. I though it was the thick Georgia gourds but dear hubby tells me that I wasn't holding the saw right. The Caning Shop is one of the best people I have ever dealt with. They will let you return anything! even books! BTW, did I mention that I have instructions on how to make blades from scroll saw blades? They are much, much cheaper and no shipping charges. Let me know when you get your tools and I will send directions.

Another good people to deal with is www.Turtlefeathers.com. They are very helpful and will answer any and all questions.

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Sandra-I looked at those tools again last night and realized they were not Proxxon.LOL I'm still not sure if I will try to order the set or just go for the saw and transformer.Decisions,decisions......LOL I have the turtlefeathers site marked in my favorites also.I have checked out their stuff several times.Too bad we don't live closer to one another.With our "great minds" there's no telling what we could do!LOL.........Lillie

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

Lillie, you're right about living close together. That sounds "scary," right? Oh, well, TX is not too far. Let us know what you get.

• huggins
    18 years ago

Hi--There was directions for sealing a long dipper to make it waterproof in my gourd book ---"The complete Book of Gourd Craft" and that might work to seal the inside too--NH

• huggins
    18 years ago

I am so glad that you told about the bread warmer baskets made from gourds--I think I will try and order some dried gourds from Welburn farms so I can make some for Christmas gifts--I have 8 sons and 1 daughter and that will make nice gifts for some of them--Let me know if you guys make one and how you did it--Thanks again for the GREAT idea...Nancy

• babyjane2
    18 years ago

Re raw gourds to purchase, I buy mine from a guy in NC. Very nice gourds, reasonable prices and shipping. I recently bought several large Martin gourds from him which will make great breadwarmers. Email me if you want his website address. Also, there's a company called Harbor Freight Tools that sells a mini power tool set for $24.99 and it has everything...sander, transformer, jigsaw, etc. My email is suttonj@ahidta.org.

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Nancy-I made the bread warmers.I decided to just finish the inside by painting with acrylic and coating with acrylic sealer.I made the little bag to put in the bottom out of cotton fabric and filled it with rice to heat up in the microwave.I also made a large square of fabric,hemmed on all 4 sides,like a napkin,to place inside the gourd to wrap the warmed bread in.They turned out really neat.
    Baby Jane-I have the set from Harbour Freight.It works pretty good,but I think would be more of a beginner or "this will do till I can do better" tool.I believe the Proxxon or one of the other brands would be best if you have a lot of cutting to do.I also noticed on thicker gourds it doesn't cut real well and I had some problems with it hanging up on the thicker ones.I guess the old addage,"you get what you pay for" applies here.LOL
    Lillie

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

I made my first bread warmer and covered the inside with pieces of brown paper bags, and also the cover, then brushed on varnish to seal.

Lillie, here we go again, I, too, made the rice bag and then made a square to cover the bag and inside. The outside I did in ivy and cut around the ivy BUT I noticed I got offline and there was a gap between the bottom and top so I used polymer clay and made ivy to cover the gap and continued the ivy up and onto the top where I used 4 pieces of the ivy pieces for the handle and then painted the ivy pieces. I then painted ivy on the square inside so that it matched. I used a bandana from Michaels for all the pieces; cut into fourths gave me enough for the bag and square.

As we mentioned before, I've got the Harbor Freight tools, too. I also have a proxxon which I use for my cutting. I do love having the drill and the mini sander for a lot of my smaller stuff like jewelry. It's well worth the $25.00 for all three pieces.

Sandra

• huggins
    18 years ago

Thanks guys for the info--I just wish I could see one finished..Does anyone know of a web site that would have a picture? or if anyone could email me a picture I would appreciate it..A picture is always worth a thousand words--Thanks again

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Sandra-You are right,the set of tools is well worth $25.00.The sander is worth that to me.Sure saves the old arthritis in the hands.LOL
    Nancy-If you will go to Google and type in gourd bread warmers there are a lot of sites there with pictures......Lillie

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

huggins, I'm in the midst of posting more pictures to my site and will include my latest bread warmer. Give me to late this evening and I should have them posted.

Sanera

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Gourdgeous

• huggins
    18 years ago

Hi again..I couldn't go on the Gourdgeous web site..wouldn't let me on but I will go and try google and will be checking again for your pictures Nonnie..Thank you also Lillie--Talk to you later..Nancy

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider