Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wish Me Luck, Dill's Atlantic Giant

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 20:49

Welp, my seeds came in the other day. I'm holding in my hands seed for the famous Dill's Atlantic Giant pumpkin that I will be giving my best shot towards growing this year.

I don't plan on breaking any records, but it would be nice to get at least one "Oh my God that pumpkin is HUGE!" fruit out of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wish Me Luck, Dill's Atlantic Giant

"Tender loving care" that's all I have to say!

o

What you will need for success is space, lots of space. Many square feet of moist, fertile soil is the key. That's why most backyard situations won't work very well. These plants are amazing at colonizing large areas, and consuming the sunshine and soil fertility afforded there. And that's what it takes to make the large fruits. If you give them a small bed of fertile soil and let the vines run over weeds, lawn and hardpan, you will get disappointing results. They need to raise their huge leaves into more and more sunshine, and sink their roots at every leaf joint into more and more moist, fertile soil as they branch and spread. The guys who raise the big'ns have large fields for this purpose.

o

Welp, I've got two vines going out back by the corn, with plenty of room to redirect vines around in. I have no delusions of breaking the 1 ton barrier, but I'd be overjoyed with one or two that at least break into 3 digit weights.

o

I am going to try and grow a giant pumpkin. Watch this space. First job is to sow some seeds . I might try dills Atlantic giant although big max did me proud a couple of years ago.

o

Edymnion,
How are those pumpkins coming along?

o

siting here in august, wondering how big your pumpkin is, I am planning to grow my own Atlantic next year. Sure hope you got yourself a monster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here