Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Japanese Pie Pumpkin

booberry85
15 years ago

I received some seeds last week called Japanese Pie Pumpkins. The only other information I have is that they are a C.Pepo. Does anyone have any information regarding this pumpkin? Are they green? Orange? Some other color? How big do they get? I'd appreciate any information. I posted this in the Asian Vegetables Forum, but it seems very slow over there.

Comments (3)

• someguyinmaine
    15 years ago

Kabocha is sometimes also known as Japanese Pumpkin and it's C. maxima, not C. pepo. Not sure what Japanese Pie Pumpkin is, but most pie pumpkins (various cultivars) that I've seen are orange and weigh less than 5 lbs.

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

There is a Japanese Pie Pumpkin, which has several alternate names: "An heirloom variety. Beautiful 12 lb. black fruit have creamy white flesh. Samuel Wilson, Mechanicsville, Pennsylvania, introduced this variety in 1884, and it quickly became popular because of its novelty and advertising. The seeds are "curiously marked or sculptured in the manner of Chinese letters." The unique-looking seed led to it being called Chinese Alphabet squash." It is also known as Nippon Island. It is a C. mixta, Cushaw group.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I still need to open the packet and look at the seeds to see if its the Nippon Squash / Pumpkin.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?