Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problem with bird house gourds

Posted by PennyMacDonald 4b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 05 at 8:14

I have grown bird house gourds for some time now but this is the first year that all have come up and within a span of 2 weeks all have died. Can anyone tell me what has happened. I planted more and I'm hoping that this won't happen again. It did look like the root end turned brown but I'm sure it wasn't from over watering. I did get a bag of new to me Miracle grow with coconut shavings in it. I did use this. Could it be the fertillzer or the shavings. Any help would greatly be appreiciated.
TIA
Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problem with bird house gourds

I have nothing to help you but Miracle Gro with Coconut shavings? Was that a mix you bought or was the coconut something you added? Was that the meat of a coconut or the hulls? If it was the meat maybe it was rotting?

Vera

o

Just to let you all know that my gourds (all of them) are up and wonderful now. I have no idea what happened to the first batch but I'm off and growing now.
Penny

o

yippie!!

Vera

o

Is the soil warm enough?

o

The soil was warm enough. I live in Canada and I have to start all my gourds in Feb...In the house. So, I have a mini green house in the house and this is what they were in. Now all of my gourds bird house and the rest are up about 12" and doing well. Just have no idea what happened to the first batch??? Oh well, you live and learn!
Thanks for the "YIPPIE" Vera. Makes a heart feel good! :0)
Penny

o

Penny. The MG mix (moisture control) retains moisture .. becareful not to over water.
Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here