the_monk

Heirloom Pumpkins

the_monk
14 years ago

Anyone grown any heirloom pumpkins? I'm focused on the following 3 types

Long Island Cheese

Yellow of Paris

ROUGE VIF d'ETAMPES

I'd like to hear about anyone's adventures with them, or other heirloom pumpkins/squash. Anyone having seeds would be especially welcome..

Comments (5)

• howden777
    14 years ago

I have not grown these particular ones... but I had tremendous luck with Marina Di Chioggia last year, and Musque du Provence 2 summers back. One of my Marina's got to be about 20 pounds but did not last as long in storage as some others. The main vine ended up being about 30 feet long! The Musque du Provence was the only squash I had that survived the pickle worms 2 summers back and the fruit stored for about 15 months! Both are very tasty... with the Musque du Provence being sweeter than the Marina.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

My adventure, last year, was growing Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin, an heirloom from SC. Fruit quality is not excellent, but it's good. My wife is quite satisfied with this one for all forms of eating. The last unprocessed squash, on our sun porch, are starting to spoil now. But we did harvest somewhere around 350 lb of fruit from 8 plants. We have plenty frozen for use until the new crop in the fall.

I did a ton of hand pollinations and send most of the seed to Sandhill Preservation Center. They are selling it through their catalog (and Internet) this year. Their description says up to 20 lb.But We had several squash weigh in at 30.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin thread

• the_monk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have heard of the Musque du Provence saw a few web pics and they're neat looking. As a kid my aunt and uncle grew a type they just called "Cornfield pumpkins" and I remember them saying they had gotten them from a farm stand in Charleston. ( wonder if they were the same?) As a younger man we grew Con. Field pumpkins every year.. Got to have a jack-o-lantern and the rest became hog feed. Met someone on the G.W. seed exchange gonna swap some Long Island Cheese seeds to me for a few gourd seeds. I'll keep everyone posted on how they do this season.

• triple_b
    14 years ago

I grew Rouge d'etempes a few years ago. I don't recall the flavor, but they were fun to grow and turned out well.

• the_monk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got my Long-Island Cheese seeds, now if I could just get warmer temps to come this way. Do to the close proximity to my other pumpkins they'll probably hybridize over summer, but to see how they do will be the ultimate goal.

Sponsored