Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bugstabber

gourd finishing

bugstabber
19 years ago

Hi I haven't posted on this forum before, but have read for awhile. I grown gourds for quite a few years. I'd like to know what you put on your birdhouse gourds as a finish. I was hoping to find something that doesn't peel after a year or two outside. Does sanding help paint stay on? I'll look forward for your suggestions.

Comments (7)

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Bugstabber.....I like that name!LOL I have only been painting gourds for about a year so I don't know how well they hold up outdoors,but I use Minwax acrylic satin sealer.I put at least 3 coats on it.Most of the people I have sold or given birdhouses to keep them inside so I have no feedback as to outside durability.Someone said they use marine varnish on theirs and have no problems.I like the Minwax because it doesn't yellow with time as some of the varnishes do.I don't know if the marine varnish has that problem or not.Any paint will fade after a while if exposed to the elements though.I always tell my customers if they hang the gourds outside to hang them in a protected area and to bring them in before winter sets in,clean them and apply another coat or two of sealer.
    If you have grown gourds you know that some will have an almost waxy outer skin.I found out the hard way that paint will not adhere for very long to that finish,even with a basecoat.I always scrape that off my gourds before I begin to work on them.Lots of work but worth it in the end results.If I am going to paint the whole gourd a color then paint designs on it I put 2 coats of Gesso on first.You could also use Kilz or some other primer but Gesso was what I had when I first started working on them so that is what I used.I use acrylics,both for the background and the designs and have had very good luck with them.you could also use the Patio Paints in the little bottles from the craft stores or Wal mart.Enamel could also be used,and I guess just about any other kind of paint that one would normally use on wood.I have also used watercolor pencils and oil color pencils.Sometimes I paint the gourd a color and sometimes I just paint on the natural finish.I always scrub the gourd with soapy water and a metal scrubber and let it dry.I clean it well with a soft rag and rubbing alcohol to remove any oily residue before priming or painting.I don't usually sand the gourd unless there are really rough spots or if I have filled holes or cracks,then I use a very light touch with very fine sandpaper.Hope this is of some help to you and if you have more questions just ask.I'm sure there will be others who will give you their pointers also........Lillie

• bugstabber
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for your thoughtful answer! I have a gallon of Kilz in the basement, I'll give that a try on the painted ones. I have never noticed the gourds being waxy, I will watch for that. I usually have to scrub off a layer of mold junk anyway so maybe it goes away then. I tried urethane one year but it peeled. I used what I had on hand, next time I'll buy something for outdoors and give that the test! thanks!

• SusieQ44
    19 years ago

I use Spar Varnish on my gourds 1 or 2 coats have had no problems.S

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    19 years ago

Hi BS,

I came across this site where an artist had painted some gourds. It might be worth checking out for ideas as much as the other suggestions.

I'd love to find some gourd seeds that are the 1" thickness that she uses.

Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: Colored Pencil Challenge

• Lillie1441
    19 years ago

Xtal.....I e-mailed you but it came back.Gerri Bishop does beautiful work doesn't she.Such detail!
    I think the length of the growing season,soil,moisture,climate,etc.has a lot to do with the thickness of the gourd.......Lillie

• hengal
    19 years ago

Xtal - That is an awesome tutorial!! Thanks for posting it!!

I agree with Lillie on the thickness issue - much has to do with the soil quality and climate.

• daylilypatch
    19 years ago

I am new to this forum also and think you folks are great and really know your gourds. Lillie, I copied your info and put it in a word document so I can refer back to it. I had posted earlier about painting birdhouses when I saw this. I checked out the site also it is really great.

Judy Rose