Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseyst_sc

Tn Spinner/Jewelry Gourd Seeds

caseyst_sc
13 years ago

After 20 years of growing big ol' gourds, the charm of the IBBG (Itty Bitty Baby Gourd) has hit me - unfortunately finding seeds for Tennessee Spinner or jewelry gourds is proving a touch tough. Anybody know a good place to get seeds for these?

Thanks!

Casey

Comments (8)

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

You will probably find them in a small assorted mix. I got mine from DeBruyn out of Michigan. I have tons if you want to send a SASE. Mine are interplanted with other varieties, so I can't guarantee how pure they'll be.

Brook

• caseyst_sc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Brook! I would love some (and I don't mind open pollinated - I love surprises) Would you like some kettle gourd seeds in return? I had a wonderful crop last year - best ever - got to be about beachball size :) My email address is caseyst@gmail.com if you'd like to trade addresses for the exchange.

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

Casey,
    Sounds like a nice trade to me. I'll send you an e-mail soon. I'd love to see what you do with your gourds. Right now, we're making a lot of birdhouses and toadhouses and a few bowls before the weather gets nice enough to work outside.

Brook

• caseyst_sc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Brook - I'm such a gourdaholic. This past season I got the most amazing crop of a cross between martin gourds and kettle gourds - I got massive beauties out of it that are just now getting dry - all basketball size or over. I'm going to be making fairy houses out of the bigger ones and lamps out of the smaller ones. My lamps are inspired by Turkish gourd lamps - they're absolutely amazing when you wire them - the light just flows out of the drilled holes! Got any pictures of your stuff?

Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Gordaholia

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

Casey, those are beautiful. You're right; those lamps are stunning. I greatly prefer the natural tones of gourds. We are novices to the craft. Actually, we're two very busy English teachers. Most of our works are painted to sell quickly as we market farm. What doesn't sell in the fall gets dried and turned into whatever our imaginations lead to. Local school sports teams do real well. I sand, drill, cut, and do base coats; and the wife does most of the artistic work. No, I don't have pictures of mine. I'm such a dinosaur I have no experience w/a digital camera. I've never grown kettle gourds, but I'm anxious to try them. They look like they would be quite versatile, and I like their size.

Brook

• caseyst_sc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh please get some pictures - even a cellphone picture would be great - I always take shots of mine because they get sold or given away (or worse, the cat knocks them off and they break) For me the most fun of gourds is the surprise you get when they're grown, and then again the surprises you get when you get the mold off. I do a trick you guys would really like - if you have an artistic eye at all (and you can tell if you do - you see people's faces in ordinary things like linoleum patterns or stains or other innocuous things). When you get the mold off and the gourd's good and dry, look closely at the mold patterns. I study them to find odd little animals - first you find what looks like an eye and then use the mold pattern to build a little animal around it. Then burn or ink the animals in so other people can see them too, and varnish them for permanence. Just put a few up on the gourdaholia page, this one's a work in progress but I'm finding all kinds of odd little things on this one, it's a winner! Every one of the little critters was just a bit of mold - brought out with ink. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourdaholia

• brookw_gw
    13 years ago

I don't even have a camera on my cell phone, but at least I've got a cell phone. Don't know where it is half the time. I treasure my time alone and as simple a life as I can make. Those designs are indeed fascinating.

Brook

• milehighgirl
    13 years ago

I think Seed Savers might have what you are looking for:

Here is a link that might be useful: Spinning Gourd from Tennessee

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting