Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there more than one type of Basketball Gourd ?

Posted by glorybee 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 13:10

Hi All,
I have purcased some basketball gourd seeds and then while doing research online I came across a site that mentioned that basketball gourd seed is black like watermelon seed.Well, the seeds I purchased are the brown kind.Is there more than one type.? I specifically wanted this kind of shape because gourds are relatively new to me and I want to try my hand at crafting with them and I don't want to plant something that might be different.

Thanks,
Heidi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there more than one type of Basketball Gourd ?

Hi Heidi,
First, where did you get the seed? If you bought it from a catalog, or other reputable seed company you should have nothing to worry about.
Second, other people's perceptions of what a seed should look like will differ to some extent. In other words, don't worry about what they say it should look like.
Third, plant them anyway..........you won't know if you don't try!

Jan

o
RE: Is there more than one type of Basketball Gourd ?

Hi Jan,
First of all, I purchased them on ebay .So it does matter because of feedback being left.I want to make sure I am getting exactly what I purchased.What was advertised and pictured.Planting them anyway, is fine if you just want to wing it but I purchased them specifically to craft jack o lanterns out of them so shape matters.I intend on growing 5 different types of gourds and I am having my husband build seperate trellis's for them.As far as different peoples perception of what seed should look like is concerned.There is a really large difference between a black looking watermelon seeds and the brown seeds that I received.Before I email the seller about it I wanted to ask around first to make sure I have my facts straight.Thank you for your enthusiasm and help though :)

Thanks,
Heidi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here