Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much room for winter squash?

Posted by consecrated 5A (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 13:44

I have two 5'x15' raised beds in my garden... "sectioned" into 5'x5' areas. Both beds will have a block of corn and beans at one end filling a 5x5 section. The other end I have peanuts in one bed, and a bee hive in the other.

The middle 5x5 section I would like to plant some varieties of winter squash. I have some seeds... All are vine squash ... a hybrid kabocha (Confection), a "sweet meat" and a butternut.

My plan was to have 4 plants in each of the middle 5x5 sections... and train them into the corn and along the outside edge of the bed. Obviously I would not train them into the peanuts... but I could train them to a small extent around the beehive.

Is 4 squash plants too many? Comments? Advice? I have not seen squash grown since I was a kid... which was awhile ago. Thank you for comments!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much room for winter squash?

Those cultivar will grow 10-15 ft vines, As long as you have someplace for them to run, you should be ok. I usually plant them two to a hill on eight foot centers. In a raised bed with heavily enhanced soil you should get away with four to a hill.

o
RE: How much room for winter squash?

Should I place the 4 plants close together in one generalized location in the 5x5 area, or space them out a bit?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here