Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesgarden

Pumpkins or squash???

eaglesgarden
15 years ago

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page27.html

After reading the article I am considering not growing pumpkins, but more butternut.

Question 1: Has anyone made pumpkin pie/bread/etc from fresh butternut? (I know that the "stuff" in the can is actually squash, not pumpkin, but I only care about fresh.)

Question 2: How do roasted butternut squash seeds compare to roasted pumpkin seeds?

Question 3: Can anyone verify the pest tolerance of butternut versus pumpkin (SVB and squash bug)?

Comments (7)

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

C. moschata squash which includes the butternut group, Cheese pumpkins, and pumpkins like Dickinson ( the canning pumpkin)Rumbo, Buckskin, and several other types is highly resistant to the squash vine borer, but NOT to the squash bug. As a group they have more flavor that the C.pepo or C. maxima type pumpkins. Remember all pumpkins are squash, but not all squash are called pumpkins.

• eaglesgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are C. pepo more susceptible to squash bugs than C. moschata? Or, are they preferred by squash bugs or more attractive to squash bugs?

• farmerdilla
    15 years ago

Squash bugs don't seem to discriminate.

• eaglesgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure about that....A few years ago I planted pumpkins for the first time and had a BUNCH of squash bugs, but have NEVER had a single one (that I saw) on my zucchini, which I've grown for YEARS!

Anyway, this experience scared me off pumpkins (I only got 1 pumpkin out of the entire patch), but I am looking at taking the plunge again. Just wondering if I would save myself some aggrevation by going butternut instead.

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Bugs can show preference for given varieties within the same species, and this can even be affected by conditions. Hence, your pumpkins got hit, but the zucchinis did not.

As a general rule the c. moschata are more bug resistant. However, I do agree with Farmerdilla: most are still prone to those grey squash bugs which eat the leaves, etc. Still, it's the borers which generally KILL one's plants. I don't know of a c. moschata which isn't more resistant to borers than almost any c. pepo or c. maxima. (These are the two main groups from which most Jack O Lantern pumpkin types come from.

Eaglesgarden, in response to your other questions:
    1)We normally use a butternut type of squash for EVERYTHING a person would normally use a Jack O Lantern type pumpkin. The c. moschata squash usually have better quality and flesh color and make great pies and breads.

2)C. Moschata seeds are often small. But they toast up just fine for eating.

I wouldn't be a bit hesitant to grow a bunch of butternuts, in place of regular pumpkins. The only thing you can't easily do with them... is make a Jack O Lantern! Cheese pumpkins and other c. moschatas should also work. I'd just recommend that you read up on any variety you choose, to make sure that flesh quality is good. I've never heard of a butternut that didn't have good quality flesh. But there are a few c. moschatas out there with slightly more coarse flesh.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• eaglesgarden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks George.

I bought some New England Pie Pumpkin seeds this year, because I wanted to have truly "homemade" pumpkin pies this year. I read that they are considered to be the "classic" pie pumpkin. But, if they are more susceptible to SVB than a butternut, and butternut makes as good a pie, than I might have to reconsider my planting ratio. I originally planned to plant about twice as many NE Pies as butternuts, but I might have to reverse that.

My wife and son are also planning on using the NE Pies for fall decorating. My wife doesn't like traditional Jack O'Lanterns, but she is a huge fan of regular PUMPKINS as decorations. My son is only 3, so painting a small pumpkin is just as cool to him as seeing a "Jack O'Lantern".

Thanks George (btw, great thread about saving "true" seeds for OP squash!)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Thanks. I am happy when I hear that others are saving their own seed.

George

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living