Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redblossom40

Quick question on painting gourds

redblossom40
19 years ago

Hi everybody, Just a quick question on using leather dye as a base coat, then using acrylic paints to make flowers and stuff. Has anybody tried this and does it work .

Comments (9)

• Nonnie_GA
    19 years ago

RedBlossom, I have not tried this but see no reason why it wouldn't work. I have painted with acrylic over just about everything and have no problem. The real problem would be if the first color (leather dye, etc.) gave a really smooth surface so that the acrylic wouldn't adhere. As I said, I don't believe the dye will be a problem.

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for replying and I think I'm going to try it on my small egg gourds first. I let you know how it turns out. Thanks Tamara

• janmar
    19 years ago

Hi Tamara, I have had very good luck painting with acrylic over leather dye. You will also get some interesting colors and variations if you paint light dye over your acrylic once dry. I have found it is almost impossible to determine exactly how the dye will look until it is (as a final step) sprayed with clear acrylic which reveals its depth and intensity! good luck and have fun experimenting. J

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, it's nice to hear that someone else has try it. I know sometimes is hard to cover up what mother nature has made (meaning mold rings) but it's also nice to make neat design and come up with new colors.
    thanks for sharing infor.
    happy gourding
    Tamara

• SusieQ44
    19 years ago

Hi Tamara,I have found the dye seeps through the paint so make sure you let the dye dry before painting.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    19 years ago

Hey Red,

I came across this site on painting gourds and had to pass it along. It's truly remarkable. She used some very heavy gourds which I'd like to ID. Any ideas?

Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Pencil Challenge

• redblossom40
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow Xtal, thanks for the site infor. Beautiful work, I've seen the color pencils in the crafts store, just never thought about using them. Will now that's a great way to get inbetween the lines and in tight areas. thanks

And Thanks Susie, I will remember not to rush and let things dry.

Tamara

• mijet
    18 years ago

OH My God, those are beautiful.. I have yet to do my first one and very anxious to get started.. any idea on site for beginners. I love it.. Thanks

• littlereo
    18 years ago

Yea, Oh My God!! they are beautiful. I have run out of things, or not wanting to paint the OLD way, Now I can do somthing Different!!!!!!!! I even have the water colored color pencils.
    I can't wait for my husband to get them ready. He has to do it because I can't handle the Mold.
    littlereo
    Sandie

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm