Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

best patty pan/scallop squash?

katyajini
15 years ago

Hi everybody, I just ordered a packet of mixed seeds of scallop squash from Jung seeds. Said to contain dark green, pale green, white, pale yellow, bright yellow, striped. I am wondering if I should order just one or two specific types? I remember eating these long ago and they were delicious but I forget which variety they were?

Would you recommend a particular type?

What is our favorite way to eat this squash?

Thanks!

Katyajini

Comments (9)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I've only grown two different types, both of them yellow. I grew Sunburst (a hybrid) and Yellow Scallop (an heirloom). I liked both quite well. I did not see a significant difference between the two.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

I'm a fan of the old-fashioned, white Patty Pans.

I make a beautiful mixed grill of squash with white scallops, yellow crookneck, and black zucchini. All very traditional and extremely delicious. :-)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

The recipe for my grilled squash:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tri-color Summer Squash on the Grill

• barriosjojo
    13 years ago

I am about to harvest some white PP in the morning for an old fashion recipe from Grand Ma. It is a casserole made with chicken pieces, fresh corn off the cob and PP. First brown the chicken pieces(thighs, drum sticks, wings, breast, etc.)in a cast iron pan with VOO. While the chicken browns on all sides(turn pieces over to other side) cube the already washed PP(3 to 4 PPs) and then take the kernels of corn off the cob with a knife(2 to 3 ears). After the chicken is browned add the spices with 1 cup of h2o(spices depend on taste)along with the PP and corn and cover over a medium heat till PP is soft not mushy (al dente)Testing once in a while for taste. Spread some tomato sauce over the top before it is done. Enjoy

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

Your choice. White varieties ( White Bush Scallop/Patty Pan, Woods Prolific) have the mildest flavor. Green tinted ( pale green)Benning's Green Tint, Peter Pan, Patty Green Tint are also quite mild. Yellow varieties( Yellow Bush Scallop, Sunburst, Patissons Golden Marbre,Sunny Delight have a more hearty flavor. The mulicolors (Flying Saucer) are about as tasty as yellow squash, but mostly a novelty in my opinion. Not very productive for me. The dark green cultivars (Total Elipse, Scallopini, taste more like a green zucchini.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scallop squash recipes

• girlbug2
    13 years ago

I tried Starship several years ago from Territorial Seed, and it was very tender and mild. But they must have discontinued it, and last year I ordered Flying Saucer in its place; attractive, but awful eating quality FWIW.

• susancol
    13 years ago

I tried several one year and Sunburst was my favorite. But for my small garden, yellow squash and zuchini are a better use of the space, so I'm not growing Patty pan now. Also, I found that if I picked the patty pan early enough, I never had enough of them to cook at once. And if I waited until they were bigger, they were a little tough on the outside. IMHO
    Susan

• guavalane
    13 years ago

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your input. I too only have a small garden so every inch is precious.

Penny

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

This is my first year growing patty-pans, and I'm growing Sunburst. I can only vouch for it's hardiness. It trooped thru our cold, cold, soaking wet springtime and is in full glory. Not all of my squashes were so fortunate.

Sponsored