Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery squash: any ideas?

Posted by Coconuts337 none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 18:24

Hi folks,

I had these squash/pumpkin plants sprout in my yard about 6 weeks ago and I decided to let them grow thinking that they would be pumpkins. The seeds are "pumpkin seeds" from my parrot's food that were washed out of the pan when cleaning.

Anyhow, the fruit are very yellow to begin with, so I'm inclined to think it's not a pumpkin. The yellow made me think of spaghetti squash, but are the immature fruits bright yellow?

Anyone have any ideas about what this is?

Here are links to more photos if that helps. The largest fruit so far is about 6 inches long.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/Coconuts337/IMG1_zpsd17e9828.jpg

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s525/Coconuts337/IMG3_zps3c48d3fc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery squash: any ideas?

Looks like a C. Maxima variety, especially from the photo of the plant I saw in the website.

o

Hi ccabal,

Thank you for answering my question. I scoured the web for young C. maxima pictures to figure out the variety. The closest one is a giant pumpkin.

I'm not used to seeing those here in Hawaii. Most folks usually grow Kabochas, so the pumpkins I'm used to seeing have all been green when young. The bright yellow fruit on my plant seemed really bizarre.

Reminds me of when my aunt first encountered a purple okinawan sweet potato. She started to peel it, saw the purple flesh, thought it was rotten, and chucked it into the garbage can. She grabbed a second one, saw the purple again, and chucked it too, into the garbage can. After the third one, she came out of the kitchen complaining that I bought a bad batch of potatoes, and proceeded to tell me how she'd never seen sweet potatoes rot and turn purple. I about fell over laughing so hard. I still start giggling when I think about that. It never occurred to me that she might not have seen a purple sweet potato.

Now the jokes on me, pumpkins are yellow from the start.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how these pumpkins turn out.

If it's not something I want to eat, I'm sure my birds and chickens will enjoy it. :-)

o

so how'd it turn out?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here