It was vigorus and had beautiful blooms

I was sooo happy!

..and then I discovered this:

Bigger than a bowling ball

and WAY prettier.

and then there were MORE!!

And

OH MY!!

I let them winter outdoors in my Minnesota climate.

Some just rotted. (short growing season here)

and some became light-as-a feather and they

look like this:

and...

That was March 12.

On March 13, they disappeared again

I think they're wonderful!

I am already browsing for some

new & exciting Gourd seeds.

Any Suggestions for a second timer??

They will not be ready to clean & craft

for a couple more months,maybe longer,

but the "starting" season

will be here about April 1.

Thinking I would like to try

"Bottle Gourds" this year.

Anybody want to reccomend their

favorite?? Northern growers,

please advise.

Someday I'll get that photo sizing thing down.

Sorry...

Thanks!!

Comments (8)

• janmar
    18 years ago

Wow, Intrepid Gardener, you have had quite a year! Thanks for the pics - they were great! If your gourds are now 'light as a feather' then they are probably ready to craft when you can find them under the snow. This Spring I am planting cannonballs - small gourds that are perfectly round. I also like maranka - cave man's club - as a strange and cool shape to play with, and I am going to try my hand at some mini-bottles. Although birdhouse and regular bottle seeds are available at places like Home Depot, it's hard to find the more unusual seeds but sometimes small boutique nurseries carry a better variety. You had such a nice apple gourd crop that you can look forward to an interesting variety this year. Best of luck! J

• tangerine_z6
    18 years ago

That last picture is spectacular. I like looking at the relative sizes of the wall in the distance, the bench and the tree. Such majestic trees. All that and gourds too!

• debtoo
    18 years ago

check out the American Gourd Society webpage, links to those who sell seeds and gourds. Also tips on growing and crafting.
    Deb

• lovetogarden
    18 years ago

I grew the same gourds. According to the seed packet they were apple gourds. Some that I grew are exactly shaped like an apple. While others are much bigger and longer than an apple would look. I also left mine outside. The last time I checked, last week, they are all drying nicely.
    I like these gourds but my favorite are the kettle gourds. They are shaped exactly like a beehive. I also love the big martin gourds. I've used 2 sources to get my seeds. http://www.carolinagourdsandseeds.com/
    http://www.turtlefeathers.com/text/natural-products/seeds.html
    Both have nice selections.
    BTW - The last 3 images didn't show up in your posting.

• chrismich250
    18 years ago

I love the snow scene with the bench under the tree. what a great photo, and idea. thanks

• intrepidgardner
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you. Sorry some photos don't show up. They show up for me; I think it's the sizing thing. I'll work on it.

I have been browsing for gourd seeds. Pricy, aren't they?
    Well, maybe it's the shipping & handeling--.

Do you realy think I can get a kettle gourd to mature up here? Enticing...

Those Penguin gourds get my attention, too, and, yep the cannonballs are awesome--even the name is cool.

I think I may try to post on the exchange forum. After all, I only need one vine. Most of my property is shaded by pine trees & etc, and hosta love to grow here. Can swap hosta for gourd seeds. The timing thing is a little off, however. I also have some other nice seeds that someone may want. Have you Gourd Folks had much luck with swap/exchange?

Oh, and: It's not hard to get great "Snow Photos" up here--teehee. I's harder NOT to.

• kms4me
    18 years ago

intrepid,

I got kettle, dipper, bottle, pear, birdhouse, canteen, and tobacco box gourds to grow to maturity last summer, and I'm in MN too.

I have a few extra gourd seeds; email if you would like some.

Kate

• sowngrow (8a)
    18 years ago

Good job on your first attempt to grow gourds-they're lots of fun aren't they? I think you'd love growing luffas. I grew them and my daughter and I made luffa soap out of them. If you'd like seeds, email me.

Sponsored